Peripherals stop responding

TechRoy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hey guys, I have a new problem that is totally freaking me out. When i'm using my system, usually while using Ableton Live 8 (but not at all limited to), my mouse and keyboard stop responding. The system is still working, if for instance a song is playing then it will continue to do so, etc. I just can't move my mouse and can't do anything with my keyboard.
Restarting fixes the issue.

This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. Today, a new symptom: while doing normal browsing my mouse freezes for just about a second. Then I hear the same sound you hear when you connect a new device into any usb port. And then the mouse works again.

Any ideas? I am completely stumped.

I'm running windows 7 x64 on:
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2Ghz
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
8 Gigs corsair ram
Gigabyte GeForce GTX570
Corsair Force GT3 120Gb SSD (system) - Running on AHCI
Seagate Barracuda LP 5900Rpm hdd 1.5TB

Thanks a lot in advance,
Roy.

skaz

Distinguished
Make sure all your motherboard's drivers are up to date. (Link is for Rev. 1.0)---> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#dl

Definitely sounds like some sort of conflict with your USB controller. I assume the Mouse and Keyboard are plugged into a USB 2.0 ports? If so, for testing purposes install the USB 3.0 driver and connect the Mouse and Keyboard into the USB 3.0 ports. Report back. (If your Mouse and keyboard were originally connected to the USB 3.0 ports when you started having this problem then do the reverse of what I just said.) But still report back.

TechRoy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Hey, thanks for the response. As i'm writing this both the mouse and keyboard are connected the the USB3 ports. The second I connected it the problem got even worse. So I'm pretty sure its not the ports themselves or the difference between USB3/2.

I think I will re-install the motherboard driver but I can't figure out if I have Rev. 1.0 or Rev. 1.3. Also, do I need the chipset drivers? I don't see the usb drivers on the site.

Thanks a lot,
Roy.

skaz

Distinguished

Yes, install the chipset drivers. The chipset is controlling your USB 2.0 ports. I would leave the mouse and keyboard in 2.0 as the 3.0 ports are controlled by a separate controller by Etron and unless you need the 3.0 ports for something (extra perfs or external 3.0 hard drives) I would leave it disabled.

Hopefully by updating your chipset drivers your keyboard and mouse will be back in action. Good luck.

EDIT: By the way, Gigabyte makes it nice and easy to find your Rev. number. Just pop open your case and look on your motherboard. It will be printed right on the board. The example photo on the gigabyte site I linked has the Rev. number printed on the top left corner, near the PCI slots.

TechRoy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Although all that is good and well, I am 90% sure that the problem is that my mouse is dying/dead.
I just switched it out about 45 minutes ago and since then (knock on wood) its been working fine. I have no idea why my keyboard didn't respond, may be the mouse sent out some sort of signal that just jumbled the whole thing, idk...

I will report back if the problem reappears.

Thanks again,
Roy.