how to troubleshoot a motherboard

mayabit

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to put together a new system. These are the components I've gotten together:

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Cooler Master Elite 460W ATX +12V V2.31 SATA, PCI-E Power Supply RS460-PSARI3-US

AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ

Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules BLS2C8G3D1609ES2LX0

PNY NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 1GB GDDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card VCGGT620XPB

And all this stuff sits in the following case:

Nzxt Technologies Phantom with Green Trim (Green LED) Enthusiast Full Tower Case.

The damn thing won't do anything. The fans start for nearly a minute, then then they stop I didn't plug in any keyboard or mouse, so I was expecting some beeps. Nothing.

I thought that maybe I was shorting the board, but it get the power turn off whether the board is in the case or not.

Can anyone help this helpless newbie? Thanks!

Maya

mayabit

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Thanks, Rolli59! I'll give it a try. I'll try anything at this point. Shouldn't the audio beeped a few times to let me know the system was hungry for delicious keyboard though?

BTW, I tried a 600 watt power supply (Cooler Master) that did the same thing, i.e., turning off after about 5-10 sec. That ps only has a 4 pin CPU power supply plug instead of the 2 4-pin plugs in the ps that I listed in the original post, and I wondered if that was the reason for the shutoff: either too little power on the first ps vs not enough pins in the plug on the second.

Also, did I mention that this is my second Gigabyte board? I've been getting a lot of eye rolling when I say that I got a Gigabyte board instead of Asus, or even ARock.

Thanks!

Maya