Your question

New Computer is Freezing

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2012 10:11:57 PM

Hey, I recentley bought a new computer and it has started to freeze, it started when i left it on over night to downlaod stuff (steam games, etc.) and when I wake up in the morning, it is frozen, my monitor will not resum since it cannot tell I am moving my mouse, also it happens at random times. This only started happening 2-3 days ago, I cannot run Prime95 since it will freeze and memtest performed about 2 weeks ago had 0 errors.

intel i5-2500k
gigabyte ga-z68ap-d3
8 gb kingston 1600 hyperx genesis ram
Hitachi 0F13180 Deskstar 7K1000.D Hard Drive
Corsair 650watt PSU
Nvidia GTS 450 (Only not new part, 1 year old)
Windows 7 64 bit

More about : computer freezing

January 13, 2012 10:41:50 PM

Remove your graphics card and connect your monitor to your motherboard and see if it still happens. That would eliminate the video card.
m
l
January 13, 2012 11:06:28 PM

geekapproved said:
Remove your graphics card and connect your monitor to your motherboard and see if it still happens. That would eliminate the video card.

will do overnight when i am downloading fallout nv from steam
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2012 11:49:17 PM

save the files you have and reinstall windows
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:47:21 AM

geekapproved said:

It worked :(  Does this mean i need a new video card? or is there something that needs changed, what should my video card bios settings be at? such as graphics core voltage etc.

I am hoping to not have to reinstall windows, i will do that as last resort
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:59:18 AM

Can you place your Nvidia GTS 450 in your old system just to make sure if it is working, or not?
m
l
January 14, 2012 12:24:46 PM

jemm said:
Can you place your Nvidia GTS 450 in your old system just to make sure if it is working, or not?

yes, as long as the hard drive has no chance of being the culprit as i need to transfer it over, my old hd is fried.
m
l
January 14, 2012 1:33:22 PM

You can't move the hard drive without reinstalling windows.

It is possible that you need a new video card at this point, if the computer will only freeze with the video card attached.
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:08:39 PM

Raiddinn said:
You can't move the hard drive without reinstalling windows.

It is possible that you need a new video card at this point, if the computer will only freeze with the video card attached.

I meant detach my HDD from my current machine, hook it up to old machine.

And what should my voltage be, and bios? Any help?
m
l
January 15, 2012 2:20:43 AM

I know what you meant.

If you move the hard drive to your old computer, you will 99% likely get BSODs repeatedly and never get into Windows.

I wouldn't play around in the BIOS if I were you. It is very rare that computers mess it up on their own these days.
m
l
January 17, 2012 10:39:06 PM

Took video card out, tried it for about a day, still freezing (not the video card) I have a feeling its the mobo since my video card wouldnt work in the pcie x16 slot anyways :/ 
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:03:59 AM

I suppose it could be the hard drive. Hitachi does have the worst failure rates among the 4 major hard drive makers.

You could try to find the hitachi company's disk scanning utility and try to run it on your hard drive.
m
l
!
changing