Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hello

See below my current configuration (#1)
ScreenHunter_01Apr292242.gif
[/img]

I need a 2nd access point (3rd DIR 655)
What is the best: #2 or #3?
For me, option #2 requires a switch (but I already have one) and option #3 doesn't but need more cable maybe....
But other than that, are they technically the same?

Thanks

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I have received my 3rd DIR 655 that I will use as a 2nd access point
I will have to set an static IP address, and this is how I realized I did the same thing for the 1st access point, but I don´t remember that address....
How can I check the IP address of that 1st access point? Can I see all the IP address of my network through the main router (DIR 655 as well) or should I use an network/IP scanner?
Thanks

you can use any IP that is out side the DHCP range and is not used. I usually use an IP ending in 253.

Pick an IP you would like to use and see if you can PING it. If you get no response the IP is available and you can assign it to the new router.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
But this won't tell me the address of my 1st access point, right? It will only tell me if 253 is used or not?
Should I use a IP scanner to find out my AP addreess? Any good free software you would recommend?

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hello
I'm going to install my 2nd access point (DIR655), but first I wanted to check the strength of the wifi signal in my house
I'm using Xirrus Wifi Inspector to see where are the strong areas, and find the weak areas to know where to locate best my 2nd access point
Using Xirrus, I can see my main router, and the Network Mode in Xirrus indicates "802.11n"....Perfect
But I also see my 1st access point (a 2nd DIR655 router configured as AP) and Xirrus indicates this time "Unknown 802.11g" in the Network mode field.....
Why "Unknown", and more important why "g" and not "n"?