750W Showdown: HCG-750 vs TruePower TP-750 vs. Cooler Master RS750

Hello there fellas

You should know the shpiel by now :kaola: limited options for me as I live outside the great US of A. Which of these power supplies do you recommend? I need 750W

- Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750 (link)
- Antec TruePower New TP-750 (link)
- Cooler Master GX Series RS750 (link)

johnnyguru wrote some pretty nasty *** on the GX but I have seen good reviews on the net all around. I am tempted to go with the TP-750

Have your say :)

EDIT: Here is my build (Is 750W too much/little?)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master 750W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Samsung PX2370 23.0" Monitor
(Generated 2012-04-26 13:38 EDT-0400)
9 answers Last reply
More about 750w showdown truepower cooler master rs750
  1. So over at AnandTech and HardForums people have mentioned that 750W is way too much for my machine and I should look for 500W PSUs!

I have the following options:

The only 500W unit that he carries and has decent reviews is the SilverStone ST50EF-PLUS
    Any thoughts?
    JonnyGuru
    HardwareSecrets
    Newegg

He also has a cooler master eXtreme power plus 550, but I am gonna stay away from cooler masters after what I heard/read about the GX
  2. A quality 500W PSU will be sufficient for the build you listed. There is however, a benefit to using a PSU with 2 times or more power than what the system pulls, which is that the PSU fan will not ramp up until it reaches 50-60% load.

I myself have a TP-750(Blue version). This is my configuration:

-Raidmax Smilodon case
    -Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W PSU
    -MSI 790FX-GD70 MB
    -AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
    -4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 RAM @ 7-7-6-18 1T
    -HIS Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    -Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    -Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    -Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

It's going on 3 years strong. Nothing wrong with going with the HCG-750 or TP-750. They're great PSU's. The TP-750 is semi-modular so it would be less cluttered for a mid tower case. If you don't mind the extra cables, the HCG-750 would be okay too.
  3. Terry1212 said:
    A quality 500W PSU will be sufficient for the build you listed. There is however, a benefit to using a PSU with 2 times or more power than what the system pulls, which is that the PSU fan will not ramp up until it reaches 50-60% load.

Overclocked, water cooled, extra bling system
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-560-twin-frozer-ii-review/8
    289 watts AC under a game type load
    ~90% efficient psu
    ~260 watts DC
    Without overclocking and/or running power viruses the OP's system will never put a 50% load on a 500 watt psu.
    And if he does, stressing the psu to 60-70 even 80% load while gaming or benchmarking for a few hours won't hurt it.
  4. Thanks for the insight guys :)

another poster on another forum has said that i should only consider buying the TP if the price difference between it and the silverstone is less than 30-40 bucks (its a $100 diff for me!) to future proof my system

I am secretly hoping they run out of silverstone so I am 'forced' to pick up the TP :p

But it really seems that the TP would be a complete overkill on how i would use the system (does it matter that i live in the middle east with high temperatures impacting efficiency?)
  5. Ditch the V-Pro for the V or an asrock board, and grab yourself a gtx 560TI. As for your powersupply, the TP and HCG R@P3 the GX...
  6. Stay away from the Coolermaster Extreme Power 550W. Review from a reputable site: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-550-W-Power-Supply-Review/969/9
    If you try to draw the rated power from this PSU you will put your system at risk. Get the Silverstone 500W.
  7. The logical pc buying guide says that for a build similar to mine, I should go for an 80+ 600W+ PSU
    http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

Getting nervous now with all my other components at stake!! I might get the TP750 just and shell out an extra $100 just to be safe :sweat:
  8. That buying guide isn't speccing a PSU for your rig and their PSU numbers are inflated. The ST-50F is sufficient for your build.
  9. bigjoday said:
    The logical pc buying guide says that for a build similar to mine, I should go for an 80+ 600W+ PSU
    http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

Getting nervous now with all my other components at stake!! I might get the TP750 just and shell out an extra $100 just to be safe :sweat:

That's a list of builds reccomended by the author, not much logic to it
    In one instance he reccomens both a 520w and a 650w for a system ( the one he calls Very Good ) similar to one of Tom's budget builds that used a 430w
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032.html

There's nothing wrong with having more power than you need, other than the added expense
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cooler Master Components Product