Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec P182 and power supply

Last response: in Components
April 26, 2012 6:44:55 PM

I have an Antec P182 and I need to upgrade the power supply. I originally built the system in 2007 and it used a smaller power supply. Is there any manufacturer that makes at least a 750w power supply that will fit in this case?

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
April 26, 2012 6:52:01 PM

jimbucc said:
I have an Antec P182 and I need to upgrade the power supply. I originally built the system in 2007 and it used a smaller power supply. Is there any manufacturer that makes at least a 750w power supply that will fit in this case?

Lots of them...The P182 fits a standard ATX PSU. The only thing that I would worry about is the length of the PSU; longer PSUs make it more difficult to route behind the mobo because of the cutout placement. What are your system specs? If you're not doing SLI/CF it would be hard to see how you need that much juice...

Edit: Another thing you need to look at in your PSU purchase is the length of the PSU cables. I have a P183 and a Seasonic M12II-520W...I have to use a 4-pin extension cable to reach the socket on the mobo. Same situation with a OCZ ModXStream 500W that I had in it at one time.
April 26, 2012 7:00:57 PM

I had to get a 4 inch extension cable so that I could route the CPU power cable around the back of the case. The thing is that my Gigabyte P35-DS3-R motherboard is getting flaky and I may need to replace the MB, which I figure will include getting a heftier PSU. There is a 550W in there now.

Have you had good luck with the Seasonic PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 26, 2012 7:37:07 PM

Awesome PSU...rock solid rails and QUIET.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 26, 2012 7:40:41 PM

What PSU do you have right now? Flaky how? A simple mobo upgrade shouldn't require a more powerful PSU....the CPU and GPU are the two biggest power consumers in modern PCs. Not to mention that modern PCs don't require as much power as most people think. Read this article from SPCR on power consumption in modern PCs: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1245-page1.html
m
l
April 26, 2012 8:25:05 PM

Best answer selected by jimbucc.
m
l
!