Antec P182 and power supply

jimbucc

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I have an Antec P182 and I need to upgrade the power supply. I originally built the system in 2007 and it used a smaller power supply. Is there any manufacturer that makes at least a 750w power supply that will fit in this case?

Solution

Lots of them...The P182 fits a standard ATX PSU. The only thing that I would worry about is the length of the PSU; longer PSUs make it more difficult to route behind the mobo because of the cutout placement. What are your system specs? If you're not doing SLI/CF it would be hard to see how you need that much juice...

Edit: Another thing you need to look at in your PSU purchase is the length of the PSU cables. I have a P183 and a Seasonic M12II-520W...I have to use a 4-pin extension cable to...

Lots of them...The P182 fits a standard ATX PSU. The only thing that I would worry about is the length of the PSU; longer PSUs make it more difficult to route behind the mobo because of the cutout placement. What are your system specs? If you're not doing SLI/CF it would be hard to see how you need that much juice...

Edit: Another thing you need to look at in your PSU purchase is the length of the PSU cables. I have a P183 and a Seasonic M12II-520W...I have to use a 4-pin extension cable to reach the socket on the mobo. Same situation with a OCZ ModXStream 500W that I had in it at one time.

Solution

jimbucc

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I had to get a 4 inch extension cable so that I could route the CPU power cable around the back of the case. The thing is that my Gigabyte P35-DS3-R motherboard is getting flaky and I may need to replace the MB, which I figure will include getting a heftier PSU. There is a 550W in there now.

Have you had good luck with the Seasonic PSU?