What case should i get?(urgent ordering today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvdman306

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hi so i am ordering a Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler which is huuge and a asus rampage extreme II motherboard. I need to upgrade my stock pre-built pc case to fit this + have room for good air flow. and i have no idea what case to get since it matters on what parts you are using or something :p i really have no idea. These are my specs as of RIGHT NOW. If you need any other info please let me know because i want to order this today. I am willing to spend $100 or so.

AMD HD7870 Gigabyte OC'd edition.
750W Delta PSU model # GPS-750AB A
Motherboard: Gateway TBGM01(buying asus rampage extreme II)
Processor: Intel i7 920 D0 @ 2.7ghz(will be overclocking to 3.6 possibly more)
Windows vista home premium 64-bit
6 2gb sticks of RAM(12)
My PC was a pre built pc and you can find every single detail on it by searching Gateway fx6801-03

ALSO would i need a better PSU for this?

ANY help would be amazing. Thank you.

EDIT: i have looked at the haf x and cooler master trooper cases and they look amazing but can any1 confirm that one of them will work with my system 100%? like all the cords and parts and well just everything

Solution
Well hate to tell but a Noctua may or may not fit in a mid tower and would just look an eye sore. My advice, get either a Haf x, or a Cooler master trooper. DO you plan to get a graphics card?

I recommend getting a better PSU, maybe a TX 650 or better name brand power supply. When overclock you want clean power and enough on the rails to feed
Well hate to tell but a Noctua may or may not fit in a mid tower and would just look an eye sore. My advice, get either a Haf x, or a Cooler master trooper. DO you plan to get a graphics card?

I recommend getting a better PSU, maybe a TX 650 or better name brand power supply. When overclock you want clean power and enough on the rails to feed

Solution

rvdman306

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
My graphics card is a brand new amd hd7870 gigabyte OC'd edition which i listed in my specs. Does the haf x or cooler master tropper fit the noctua cooler? + will it fit all my system parts and stuff?

rvdman306

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Thank you very much rugger. So it turns out my asus rampage II that i am ordering is a LGA1366 socket which is compatible with the noctua. But my RAM is from a brand named Elpida.. Which is not on the list for RAM. Would it be good to upgrade my RAM? i have heard RAM is cheap now.

rvdman306

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Yes right now my ram is ddr3 and the motherboard i am getting supports it. If i HAVE to buy new ram i suppose i will look into it.

@rugger how can i find out if my RAM has heatsinks on them? + I'm not sure if I'm reading my ram wrong but the site doesn't have my RAM as a compatible product. So wouldn't that mean i have to upgrade?

Look at it.
The Corsair Vengeance RAM that I linked above has heatsinks on it. The Corsair Value RAM that I linked does not...you can see the green PCB and the memory chips on it. If this is the RAM that came in your Gateway PC, then I HIGHLY doubt that it has heatsinks on it. Most heatsinks are bling and actually make the RAM run hotter instead of cooler.

rvdman306

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Ok thank you for clearing that up. Only reason i though i needed it is because my RAM isn't on the compatibility list for the noctua(or atleast i don't think it is) that rugger linked me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.