Can this computer run gameservers or do webhosting?

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
can you explain more? I have never ran a server before.

That current set up is my gaming computer it has a GTS 250. But I figure a video card is irrelevant for servers.

When I get a new computer I figure I need to do something with this computer.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Put ubuntu on it and install apache mysql and php, and wolah you have a webserver. As to what you want to do with the webserver that's up to you :)

Yes the video card won't be doing anything for a webserver.

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
It does have a video card. GTS 250, this is my current computer I am posting from.

I want to use it for something when I buy my new computer.

I have never ran a server computer before.

So what's the difference of using an operating system like Unbuntu or Windows 2003 Server vs just using Windows 7?

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Gameserers or webhosting. I have ran servers off another computer before. But they don't compare to something hosted by a proper company. So how do I do something like that? Mine was mainly for people at a LAN.

I have also never done my own webhosting before, but it interests me.

sk1939

Distinguished
You have to buy a domain first to host a website, then you have to either get a static IP or setup Dynamic DNS, establish the web server, create a DMZ for the server, configure DNS, setup FTP, and set user access rights. Then you have to find clients if you want it for commercial use. If it's for commercial you will want redundant hardware, a business class line, and incorporate a business to simplify taxes.

Many games you cannot host anymore (Battlefield comes to mind).

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Common... this is clearly not for business use. I'm sick of people on here spewing all this rubbish when all they want is just a home server to host a few games at a lan and host a DIY website. He doesn't need to configure DNS or FTP, buy a domain or get a static ip address.

sk1939

Distinguished
You need a domain to host a website, it's that simple, especially if he wants it reachable from the internet. Plus, if I'm reading what the OP is asking correctly, he wants to host a PUBLIC game server, not a LAN server.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Rubbish you don't need a domain to host a website. OP hasn't really said anything about what he wants to host for all we know he just wants to do this for learning purposes

sk1939

Distinguished

You don't NEED a domain, but otherwise you have to know the ever changing IP address. OP really need to chime in on what exactly he wants to do.

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
hey sorry guys I am about to go to bed so I will check on this tomorrow.

I basically want you to tell me what this computer can handle.

I want to run an online server. Is that possible, or will be just lag? As I said I have ran a LAN DEDICATED server from home. That's no problem, no one lags on LAN.

What about webhosting? I have never hosted a website from my house. How does this work?

Thanks you guys I will chat with you tomorrow :)

sk1939

Distinguished
It can handle being either quite comfortably.

What games are you looking to host? How much it lags depends on your internet connection first, and your computer second.

Webhosting is more challenging. Are you looking to host a private website, or possibly provide a service to customers?

zyzz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Games like Counter-Strike 1.6 or Counter-Strike Source. Not many new games interest me, no Battlefield or anything I don't even own it.

I would love to host my own website since I use to have one. But providing sites for friends would be even better! I don't think my ISP would tolerate me charging, but I would love to give friends webspace.

talk to you tomorrow.

sk1939

Distinguished
Web hosting is not something that I advise beginners to do, because if done wrong it can open you up to all kinds of liability. As for the steps to do so, you need the things I mentioned above.

As far as hosting a CS:Source server, all you need to do is launch the dedicated server and configure the settings (map rotation, etc.).

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
You don't want to use linux for hosting a CS server. You will find it hard to get it working. You won't notice much difference using windows 2003 if your just hosting game servers. Generally it's a more stable OS I don't really want to get into why they are different. As for just game hosting it's not important.