Sign in with
Your question

PC doesn't boot. Asus P8Z77-V-Pro. No BIOS, Boot_device_LED stays red.

Last response: in Motherboards
March 10, 2013 5:41:05 AM

I've recently run into a problem with my PC. It used to only happen every couple of times I tried to boot it up but now it happens all the time and I can't boot my computer at all. What happens is I press the power button, all the fans start spinning, the monitor wakes up but the screen is blank. I look at the mobo and I see that the boot_device_led is on. I get one beep on start up but I can't access the bios or any boot drives. I've tried unplugging the SSD,HDD and bluray drive but the light still stays on even when all three are unplugged. Why is this happening? Is my computer broken?
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2013 7:22:40 AM

Do you have a WiFi card installed in the motherboard? If so unplug power cord from computer to wall outlet, then remove WiFi card and look for burned spots on the contacts of the card and in the slot it came out of. I have come across this problem before. Also chek ALL! power supply connections to make sure they are secure.
m
l
March 10, 2013 8:03:08 AM

I don't actually have a WiFi card installed. I use the included WiFi GO!. I've tried a lot of things so far but nothing seems to work. The thing is, the computer does sometime boot after repeatedly turning the computer on and off. I was pressing the power button for about 3 hours and it suddenly loaded the BIOS and booted like normal. I have a feeling one of the chords or parts of my computer is dying, I just can't pinpoint what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any extra info is needed just ask.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2013 3:13:42 PM

Check ALL power supply connections to motherboard and components and reseat memory modules.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2013 4:21:22 PM

Please specify your PSU watts, your ram, vidoe card, motherboard make and model, and whether your primary boot device is actually your hdd.
m
l
March 16, 2013 7:30:05 PM

TenPc said:
Please specify your PSU watts, your ram, vidoe card, motherboard make and model, and whether your primary boot device is actually your hdd.

PSU Watts - 750W
RAM - 16GB
Video Card - 2GB GTX 660ti
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V-Pro
My boot device is my SSD with Windows 8 64-bit installed.

I am starting to think it may be my motherboard because I cannot usually access the BIOS at all, the computer just turns on with a blank screen and I cant do anything. After turning the computer on and off for a while the BIOS does load and everything works fine until I shut down the computer again, which I then need to repeat the process of turning the computer on and off.
m
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
March 17, 2013 8:50:41 AM

What is the make and model of the PSU? It is most likely between the PSU and motherboard.
m
l
April 12, 2013 2:59:40 AM

Just letting you know, I've fixed the problem. After many ours of research I had found nothing. I then thought, maybe the BIOS is corrupt. I Reinstalled the BIOS using the BIOS flashback utility of my Asus motherboard and guess what, it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
m
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 12, 2013 4:54:30 AM

So it was corrupt from Asus or did you update previously?
m
l
April 12, 2013 5:07:29 AM

rolli59 said:
So it was corrupt from Asus or did you update previously?

Well, it was working fine for about a month, no updates, then it just started happening, slowly getting worse until it just wouldn't boot up.
m
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 12, 2013 5:11:39 AM

The thing is BIOS should not just go corrupt so keep an eye on it if it starts happening again then you have a reason to RMA the board.
m
l
April 12, 2013 6:18:11 AM

Will do. Thanks for the help.
m
l
May 9, 2013 5:36:48 AM

Oyster315 said:
Will do. Thanks for the help.

Great! I have the same motherboard and same issue as yours, did your BIOS run perfectly after reinstalling?
m
l
May 9, 2013 8:16:22 AM

Yeah, it works perfectly now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 9, 2013 11:07:09 AM

I just want to ask, does the Date/Time stay correct before you updated the bios?
m
l
!