No boot or hd action

joneil

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,
After installing a HIS 4770 AGP card in my computer, it would not boot. As a matter of fact, there was absolutely no response noted on the hard drive whatever. Disconnecting the power to the card did nothing, but completely removing it and reverting back to the onboard controller brought back everything. I'm not sure why putting in the card would not even allow the cpu to boot or...???
Thanks for any help,

Ron

When I was working for Dell as a warranty service tech one of the first steps to trouble shooting an issue is to remove extra cards that can cause a system to not boot.

A badly malfunctioning card of almost any kind can cause your system to not boot or worse to the point where it won't even turn on.

Infact once I found a DVD drive that was faulting and wouldn't allow the computer to turn on. I disconnected that drive's IDE (data) cable and it powered up like there was nothing wrong with it at all. Later replaced that drive and customer was happy with a working drive that was not stopping his system from booting/turning on.

What are the other specs for your computer? I.E. CPu, motherboard PSU, HDD, everything. It is possible that your PSU does not supply enough current for the video card.