Quadcore processoers

geo22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

i am having trouble with occasional crashes with my new build it does not do it very often. a windows site says to run this overnight and see what reports it gives what do you think

D

Deleted member 217926

Help us help you.

Exactly what are your computer specs and when do you experience crashes?

It crashes occasionally but not very often means nothing.

Memtest will ONLY test your memory. It will rule out a bad stick of RAM and probably would be something we would recommend running for a computer crashing occasionally. But it really could be anything and we need more informtion. If you do run it and it finds any errors then you have bad memory.

geo22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

my specs are
ASUS M5A99X Evo
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black
XFX Radeon HD 6850 Fansink 775MHZ 1GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 500 gb
Corsair TX750
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB
Zalman Z9 Plus

it has crashed maybe 5 times in 12 days
but i noticed today it will not let me in to my bios
i have tried tapping delete it will not start
i have tried just tapping delete a few times
if i do nothing the computer goes to windows starts as usual windows 7
i bought a new copy no burnt or copied disk

stubbies2003

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Memtest is a great utility to check all of your memory for errors. It can take awhile to complete a cycle if you have alot of memory. I left it running overnight with 16 gigs of memory that I bought and it had completed almost 10 cycles. Leaving it on overnight is a good way to give yourself peace of mind for memory stability.

tap delete repeatedly as soon as you turn it on and don't stop sometimes the opportunity to hit it goes quick or before the monitor can come on. if that doesn't work a BIOS flash may help but lets not go there yet.

Also as was said we need some more info. what is the error you get if it gives you a BSOD. or check the system event veiwer. are you doing anything specific when it crashes? a specific program, gaming, heavy CPU or gpu use? Does it crash while you are using it, or while its just sitting idle? we can't point you toward what to test without more info. could be heat, bad memory, bad part, bad windows install, virus,, memory, power supply etc. etc.

stubbies2003

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Motherboards need to see the delete key very early in teh boot process to go into BIOS. As soon as you see the windows shutting down screen go away you should repeately hit the delete key until you are in the BIOS.

D

Deleted member 217926

Are you overclocking anything? Memtest is a good idea and as has been said let it run 8 to 10 hours. Not being able to enter BIOS at all sounds more like a motherboard issue to me.

geo22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

i have had no error it just shuts down the screen goes to green the color it would be with no input the fans are still running but the computer does nothing i restart it with the on button on the computer bye holding it down. it usually does it when it is idleing. i have checked power settings i think they are all right. no not any heavy gaming or gpu use. i have ran furmark 3dmark 11 pc mark7 it has never crashed well running these programs i have been into the bios before on start-up i used to see a picture of the motherboard and it told you to press delete i have tried tapping before starting the computer. i ran kaspersky malwarebytes. they did find a virus and removed it. i got this virus trying to get xpadder a program to preset game controller buttons. the virus was pup.bundleoffer i hope this help you help me
my computer is 2 weeks old and i want to get this fixed thanks for your help hope to hear from you soon

geo22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
i have not overclocked yet i was waiting for my aftermarket cooler that is why i was trying to get into bios

D

Deleted member 217926

Did you run Furmark for at least an hour? If not try that to rule out a bad graphics card.

Run memtest for 8 to 10 hours.

Try plugging your hard drive into a different SATA port.

Run Prime 95 for 8 to 10 hours just to see if there are any errors.

Make sure you monitor your temps when running Furmark and Prime 95.

I do not see much on that PUP bundleoffer or potentially unwanted program. It seems to be very new. From what I did see it might be hard to get rid of. Boot in safe mode and run full virus and Malwarebytes scans.

www.windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

take a look at the above link and look for errors in application. events and system events and let us know.

if its.only 2 weeks old and you had a virus already I would probably say forget it and reinstall windows. if you really truely can't get into the BIOS I would wipe the harddrive and flash the BIOS as said here as there are viruses that an infect the BIOS. its unlikely. but if you can't get in something is wrong. the new BIOS says it "improves stability" as well.
www.support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M5A99X%20EVO&s=24&hashedid=y6VrsVkIQucXalZe&os=&no=937

reinstall windows, do full security and virus updates and use it normally.

geo22

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

hi when i went to event veiwer the errors i found were

wmi error
capl2
sidebyside
it is mainly capl2 and wmi
there were some corrupt application error iexplore.exe
does this give you some information