Wireless data plans ATTWS? Cingular? T-Mobile? Verizon?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
August 29, 2004 11:36:02 AM

I am looking to get a wireless data plan. Cingulat, ATTWS and verizon all
offer unlimited data at $80/mo
T-mobile offers unlimited Data for $30/mo. one question though, is the T-mo
plan both GPRS and t-mo hotspot? or is it just GPRS? or just hotspot? (will
have to talk to the T-mo rep about that.

then there is the question of speed. I know ATTWS has this EDGE network
coming out. and Cingular is offering EDGE stuff, so is t-mo offering EDGE
too? would it be safe to say that all three are pretty much the same speed
here in Southern California? (orange county area)
I have seen the Nextel data in action WOW! never going to use that.
however.. how is Verizon data in SoCal? also $80/mo.

I am really looking hard at the T-mo plan. Thinking that will be the one for
me. (since I do enjoy starbucks too )
but then in my researching. the card t-mo is offering is ether the Sierra
wireless Aircard 750, (900/1800/1900mhz) or the Sony Ericsson GC79 card
(802.11b + 900/1800/1900MHZ)

Then Cingular offers the Nokia D311 (802.11b 850/1900)
and the SE GC82 EDGE card (850/1900)

Then ATTWS has the SE GC83 EDGE card (850/1800/1900)
as well at the Sierra Wireless AirCard 750.

I have an 802.11b card now, so the 802.11 capability is not critical, but it
would be convenient to just have the one card and not worry about it. so
what would be the best card to get? as of right now, I really don't think I
will be taking my laptop over seas, at least not any time soon. So what card
would be best? Are the cards locked like the phones are?

There anyone here that has a wireless data plan that has any input on this?
any recommendations?

If Cingular and t-mobile share their towers, does that mean T-mobile has
EDGE as well? What about roaming? The ATTws plan has free roaming, Nation
wide. is T-Mobile the same way?

Thanks for all your input! I plan on having wireless data before the end of
September... unless there is something newer/better just around the corner.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 29, 2004 5:44:21 PM

>I know ATTWS has this EDGE network
>coming out. and Cingular is offering EDGE stuff,

Should read -

I know Cingular has this EDGE network coming out. and ATTWS is offering EDGE
stuff,

I haven't heard anything about T-Mobile but I suspect that they are busy
installing edge to remain competitive.

--
John S.
August 29, 2004 10:09:58 PM

John S. wrote:
>> I know ATTWS has this EDGE network
>> coming out. and Cingular is offering EDGE stuff,
>
> Should read -
>
> I know Cingular has this EDGE network coming out. and ATTWS is
> offering EDGE stuff,
>
> I haven't heard anything about T-Mobile but I suspect that they are
> busy installing edge to remain competitive.

T-mobile uses Cingular towers. So I would think that if Cingular is putting
in EDGE, then T-mobile would be using it too.. as well as installing EDGE
where they have their towers. However, Cingular is offering an EDGE card,
and T-mobile is not.
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 1:18:15 AM

"Trey" <treydog90spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<CHfYc.15849$Bt5.4674@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> I am looking to get a wireless data plan. Cingulat, ATTWS and verizon all
> offer unlimited data at $80/mo
> T-mobile offers unlimited Data for $30/mo. one question though, is the T-mo
> plan both GPRS and t-mo hotspot? or is it just GPRS? or just hotspot? (will
> have to talk to the T-mo rep about that.

Confusingly, T-Mo offers two separate plans- the GPRS is $30 (or $20
w/a voice plan) and the Hotspot is $30 (or $20 if you are also a
T-Mobile wireless phone customer.)

> then there is the question of speed. I know ATTWS has this EDGE network
> coming out. and Cingular is offering EDGE stuff, so is t-mo offering EDGE
> too?

Not yet.

> I am really looking hard at the T-mo plan. Thinking that will be the one for
> me. (since I do enjoy starbucks too )
> but then in my researching. the card t-mo is offering is ether the Sierra
> wireless Aircard 750, (900/1800/1900mhz) or the Sony Ericsson GC79 card
> (802.11b + 900/1800/1900MHZ)

If you don't need voice or international use, check out eBay for the
older 1900MHz-only Voicestream/T-Mobile Merlin G100 card. Then you
can save your money for an EDGE card when available/necessary.

> Are the cards locked like the phones are?

Yep.

> There anyone here that has a wireless data plan that has any input on this?
> any recommendations?

For me, wireless data is mostly for fun, so I'll stick with T-Mobile
due to cost.

> If Cingular and t-mobile share their towers, does that mean T-mobile has
> EDGE as well?

No, besides Cingular doesn't have EDGE in CA yet, AFAIK.

> What about roaming? The ATTws plan has free roaming, Nation
> wide. is T-Mobile the same way?

No. Check out T-Mo's Prepaid maps for an approximation of GPRS
coverage. (Prepaid customers can't roam either.)

If you use GPRS while roaming you may be charged extra, although T-Mo
won't commit to how much beforehand!

> Thanks for all your input! I plan on having wireless data before the end of
> September... unless there is something newer/better just around the corner.

There always is... ;-)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 3:41:10 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <WZoYc.16476$Bt5.10192@twister.socal.rr.com> on Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:09:58
GMT, "Trey" <treydog90spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>John S. wrote:
>>> I know ATTWS has this EDGE network
>>> coming out. and Cingular is offering EDGE stuff,
>>
>> Should read -
>>
>> I know Cingular has this EDGE network coming out. and ATTWS is
>> offering EDGE stuff,
>>
>> I haven't heard anything about T-Mobile but I suspect that they are
>> busy installing edge to remain competitive.
>
>T-mobile uses Cingular towers. So I would think that if Cingular is putting
>in EDGE, then T-mobile would be using it too..

My understanding is that T-Mobile isn't yet provisioning EDGE. It will only
work if provisioned, even if the tower has it.

a b F Wireless
August 31, 2004 3:47:09 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <CHfYc.15849$Bt5.4674@twister.socal.rr.com> on Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:36:02
GMT, "Trey" <treydog90spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am looking to get a wireless data plan. Cingulat, ATTWS and verizon all
>offer unlimited data at $80/mo

Cingular now has a $20/month unlimited Internet plan called Media Works.

>T-mobile offers unlimited Data for $30/mo. one question though, is the T-mo
>plan both GPRS and t-mo hotspot? or is it just GPRS? or just hotspot? (will
>have to talk to the T-mo rep about that.

Just GPRS. HotSpot is $20/month more.

>then there is the question of speed. I know ATTWS has this EDGE network
>coming out. and Cingular is offering EDGE stuff,

ATTWS is ahead of Cingular on deployment.

>so is t-mo offering EDGE
>too?

Not yet.

>would it be safe to say that all three are pretty much the same speed
>here in Southern California? (orange county area)

ATTWS is probably fastest, with T-Mobile last.

>I am really looking hard at the T-mo plan. Thinking that will be the one for
>me. (since I do enjoy starbucks too )
>but then in my researching. the card t-mo is offering is ether the Sierra
>wireless Aircard 750, (900/1800/1900mhz) or the Sony Ericsson GC79 card
>(802.11b + 900/1800/1900MHZ)
>
>Then Cingular offers the Nokia D311 (802.11b 850/1900)
>and the SE GC82 EDGE card (850/1900)
>
>Then ATTWS has the SE GC83 EDGE card (850/1800/1900)
>as well at the Sierra Wireless AirCard 750.
>
>I have an 802.11b card now, so the 802.11 capability is not critical, but it
>would be convenient to just have the one card and not worry about it. so
>what would be the best card to get? as of right now, I really don't think I
>will be taking my laptop over seas, at least not any time soon. So what card
>would be best? Are the cards locked like the phones are?

I just an unlocked GSM/GPRS phone (SE Z600), connected to my laptop with
Bluetooth.

>There anyone here that has a wireless data plan that has any input on this?
>any recommendations?

I've found ATTWS to be a bit better than Cingular on GPRS speed here in the SF
Bay Area. (I don't yet have an EDGE-capable handset.)

>If Cingular and t-mobile share their towers, does that mean T-mobile has
>EDGE as well?

No -- it would only work if provisioned.

>What about roaming? The ATTws plan has free roaming, Nation
>wide. is T-Mobile the same way?

Check the website and with Customer Service.