Cooler master hyper 212 plus vs cooler master hyper 212 evo

Solution

+2
I use the CM 212+ with 2X CM SickleFlow 120's and Arctic silver 5. My my CPU is overclocked +1.25Ghz and my cores still only idle at room temperature and never exceed 30c even after 24+ hours of stress testing. My whole cooling setup set me back about $55.00 (Not mentioning case fans)

cmi86

Distinguished

+2
I use the CM 212+ with 2X CM SickleFlow 120's and Arctic silver 5. My my CPU is overclocked +1.25Ghz and my cores still only idle at room temperature and never exceed 30c even after 24+ hours of stress testing. My whole cooling setup set me back about $55.00 (Not mentioning case fans)

Solution

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Except two fans can move the same amount of air at dramatically lower noise levels, on top of keeping it marginally cooler under load.

persona

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
wow you guys have some interesting information, but one more question, the evo has the heat pipes together and the 212+ doesn't, i was debating because i heard if you have the heat pipes together then you can have more thermal conductivity.

cmi86

Distinguished

That theory is kind of hit or miss. Yes in theory it is true but all the same if you make sure to apply the TP to the 212+ in a fashion that fills any gaps between the heatpipes and the block than the Evo's heat pipe are a mute point.

What you don't know is that the Evo was made to support the LGA 2011 socket, and as said above it differs 1-2C from the hyper 212+.
As long as you have the LGA 1155 socket, go for the 212+

PA Systems

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I'm not sure if it's allowed to revive an old thread but this is my question too. How does one best mitigate the gaps between the pipes on the bottom? Must one smear the whole top of the CPU with TC? Or, is it better to put the compound on the bottom of the heatsink? Either way it's more of a hassle than using the grain of rice method of application.

Ben Howard

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I'm building a new PC specifically for living room/TV gaming, and I have a buddy who is helping me assemble it and he's all into overclocking and tinkering with voltage and all that. I'm a little hesitant as lots of what I've read says overclocking is less about performance and more about the fun of playing with settings and getting more out of the chips. I just want this to run nice for games and not have to worry about special heatsinks or anything or having to tweak settings every few weeks.

So have any of you done much playing around with overclocking on your gaming PCs? If so, have you seen much improvement, or was it more for the fun of doing it?

I'll be using Quad Core i5 3450 3.1 GHz.

Video card is Asus Radeon 7870.

TRENDING THREADS