Need help on a sub $1000 build

Chaos302

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
My Gateway P-6860FX is starting to cause way more problems then it's worth throwing cash at to fix so I finally decided to build my first desktop. Hoping to place an order within the next week(the sooner the better) but, I've seen so many builds not quite sure what to get.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $1000 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming(Swtor, Diablo 3), Movies, internet.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg but probably Amazon(10% employee discount).

Parts Preferences: Anything reliable.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: A quiet PC would be nice but not a must. I was also leaning towards a GTX 560 Ti video card if possible.

bob lightnin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Case: Haf 912

Motherboard: MSI P67A-C43

Processor: i5 2500K

Video Card: Asus GTX 560 (non Ti)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333

PSU:SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (It's rather pricey but it's gold certified and fully modular)

Hard Drive: 500GB Hitachi 7200RPM

Total: $884 with shipping, $854 after rebate.
Without OS

Windows 7 64 bit Pro

Total $1,024 with shipping, $994 after rebates.

I just did this all on Newegg, but you can just search these on Amazon if need be.

This will run any modern game on high or max easily, plus you can overclock the i5 2500K.
You can probably also get a lower wattage/cheaper PSU and will run fine, but this is for future upgrades. If you do stay away from no-name power supply makers, it could ruin your system.

I'm sure you could also salvage your DVD drive, if not just buy a $20 one from Newegg.

Hope I could help.

Chaos302

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the reply Bob and sosofm! Those look like a nice builds. I've been looking and doing research for awhile now and have found some decent builds. I wanted to see what this forum thought, it seems to be the most knowledgeable. The video card isn't a must at all.