I want to upgrade my pc pls help!

samdamn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
hi, my current pc is the following config.

-intel core 2 quad q8200
-gigabyte G31M-S2L mobo
-4 gb ddr2 ram
-600w power supply

my mobo does not take more than 4 gb ram and thats the main concern......i want to upgrade to 16 gb or at least 8 gb.......i cannot change my processor in my budget...........pls suggest me a mobo and ram......... also suggest me a compatible 2 gb graphics card.

here's a board that I think should work.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128470

here's some memory, check that's its compatible. dont think your gonna find a 775 board that takes 16 GB and almost no one needs that much.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

but before you go buying anything we need more info. why do you think you need more memory? 4 gigs is plenty for a typical user, especially with a low end processor. what OS are you using? is it 64 bit? otherwise the rams useless.

what are you doing that you think you need a 2GB video card? what resolution are you using? they are unnecessary unless you are running a high Res multi monitor setup, which would likely be severely bottlenecked by your CPU. all the 2GB cards I can think of would likely be bottlenecked by your system at 1920x1080

samdamn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
hi,
i think i got some clarifications about the grphics card ......i work on softwares like revit architecture .autocad architecture , corel draw , photoshop......these work on my current confic but are a little slugish......what do i need to do........would increasing the ram help?...... pls recommend me a graphics card....and tell me about ram also....im using windows 7 64 bit

samdamn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
hi,
i think i got some clarifications about the grphics card ......i work on softwares like revit architecture .autocad architecture , corel draw , photoshop......these work on my current confic but are a little slugish......what do i need to do........would increasing the ram help?...... pls recommend me a graphics card....and tell me about ram also....im using windows 7 64 bit

samdamn

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
autocad architecture 2012,revit architecture 2012,photoshop cs5,coreldraw x5, a bit of gaming ...........i want to make the best is possible out of it without changing cpu.....pls tell if my current 600w psu is sufficient for the upgrade or not.....another issue is that my q8200 runs at 49 deg cel. at idle state at stock speeds.....pls suggest me a better cooler.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Revit wants 4G RAM, the other can do with less. Games don't care that much about memory.

A 600W PSU will let you add any single-GPU graphics card you want. I would get an Nvidia for the CUDA cores, which many rendering programs use. Revit and Architecture, at any rate, will use a graphics card. Autodesk has a list of tested cards, a list they obviously haven't updated in a couple of years, but it looks like all they really need is DX10 and Shader Model 3.0, which any fairly recent card can do. Get a used 200-series on Amazon or somewhere if you want to really pinch pennies. If you want some gaming goodness, get a new 400- or 500- series. Your rig is not top-notch, I guess you know, but still a graphics card will speed up your imaging programs and make many games much better.