Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New $1800 build help?

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2012 4:27:31 AM

Hey Tom's Hardware. This is my first post on this forums. I have joined your community because I heard this forums the best place to ask questions about building a PC. I am new to PC Gaming and gaming in general; however, whenever my cousins came to town with their Game System games, I always want to play the latest games they would have (usually). Although I am new to building a PC, I am very familiar with how parts interact with each other and what each component does, and also what SLI/Crossfire/OCing is). I have played some with them, but in general, the last game system I ever had was a PS1 (2003) and the last handheld was GBA SP (at around 2005). Now that I have some $ and am older, I want to build my very first computer, and I hope you guys are able to help. Now, if you want more background information, just ask. :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: sometime in March. As explained in the thread, please don't try to convince me to ask for advice later.

Budget Range: $1500-1800

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Runescape MMORPG, other Gaming (MW3, BF3, CoD, Dragon Ball Z, Spyro, Sonic, Pokemon are some examples but I'm open to all genres), surfing the web, youtube, school work.

Parts Not Required: OS, Keyboard (for now), Mouse (for now); One thing though: My dad does have some laptop HDDs, but the max he has is a 250 GB and Idk if he uses it or not. If his HDDs work, I might not need one.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com, microcenter.com (for CPU and MOBO)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, 20+ Inch Monitor with HDMI; LED Backlit and HD preferred; and I will need an SSD too, if it can fit.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: A case with a Side/Front Window and Air Vents are preferred, but not required. Same with LED Fans. I would like a reasonable quiet PC. Should I get the new AMD series GPUs?

So far, I only have the i5-2500k and the Hyper 212 EVO decided on.

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

More about : 1800 build

January 14, 2012 5:02:21 AM

So real quick...ivy bridge is due in early april supposedly so if you can i would wait for that if possible. Second with your budget get an ssd for sure. AMD GPUs are coming out soon and a good few months later NVidia is coming out with new ones. Since your build isnt until march I would post again about a week before you are going to buy because a lot will change in 2 months. In the mean time I would check out newegg and find some mid tower cases that you like for $100-$150(maybe up to $200) and share the designs you like and we can figure out which case is best for you.
January 14, 2012 5:07:29 AM

I might also consider getting Ivy Bridge later. I heard that there are MOBOs out right now that will be able to support Ivy Bridge CPUs later.
@OP: IF you can wait till May you could get the 600 series gpus.
Related resources
January 14, 2012 8:01:52 AM

Anyone have parts suggestions?
EDIT: I really like the look of the LIAN LI cases. What you think?
January 14, 2012 3:21:57 PM

7 hrs and no suggestions. Please help.
January 14, 2012 3:31:58 PM

If you're going to purchase this PC in March, I suggest you add a month on to that, if prior to then, there's actually a point in constructing a draft build. At the end of Jan, I believe the entire 7000 GPU series comes out (new generation hardware, top of the range), in April, new CPU hardware comes out, it's called Ivybridge and is essentially an updated version of the popular Sandybridge. So essentially, what i'm saying to you is, you either wait until April and get the best of the best or buy now (March) and get hardware that is still very good, but it won't be on par with Ivybridge, keep in mind that there are rumours that the Ivybridge CPU's beat the Sandybridge CPU's by a good 15-20%, furthermore, the pricings will be equal to sandybridge.

So really, it's your choice.
January 14, 2012 3:40:07 PM

I am not too keen on getting the new North Bridge Chipset. I don't think my budget can increase anymore, so I'd just like suggestions for buying in March.
January 14, 2012 3:53:20 PM

If you were to wait there wouldn't be an increase in your budget, the pricing would literally be exactly the same.
January 14, 2012 3:59:40 PM

I hate my computers. I want to build in March because that is when my Birthday is, and they said they would let me build then. I live in a pretty strict family. I can't spend my $ until they allow me. They are also very unpredictable. They might change their minds. I should have explained myself in the first post, so I apologize. That is why I want to build in March 15th, my bday.
January 14, 2012 4:52:58 PM

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Km2
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Km2/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($68.77 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($559.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 800W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24LS70 DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Samsung S23A300B 23.0" Monitor ($189.98 @ Mac Connection)
Total: $1657.65
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-01-14 13:52 EST-0500)
January 14, 2012 4:55:56 PM

That's a pretty solid build with an overkill PSU, the reason being, I thought I might 'future-proof' your build. Also, you might find it hard to get that GPU, it was released a few days ago and is top of the market, if you can't, which is likely, you're best off going with a GTX 580 (debatable), or SLI 570s (I recommend.)
January 14, 2012 5:23:59 PM

Will I really need 2 HDDs? I dont really store pictures or music on the computer. Would a 500 GB HDD suffice?
January 14, 2012 5:33:30 PM

One of those isn't a HDD, it's an SSD, I chucked it in because you can put windows on it and get a faster boot up time, it is in no means a necessity.
January 14, 2012 5:44:26 PM

No, I know the last one is an SSD. I am talking about the superbizz one.. Do I really need it? Thanks.
January 14, 2012 6:04:21 PM

You need a HDD of some sort, I chose that one. 500GB, I don't believe that's enough (myself), you said this will be used for gaming, you need to keep in mind that you're probably going to install Steam. I have a 1TB HDD in my build, in the 4 months that i've had my PC, i've used 600gbs just from games. It's likely that you won't buy as many games as I do, even installing say 5-6 games can use a lot of space with the average game now-a-days being around 5-10 gigs.

However, it is your choice, if you believe 500gbs is enough, feel free to purchase a harddrive of that size, the savings won't by any means be major, though.

January 14, 2012 6:10:26 PM

Is 1 TB good then?
Sorry if I am making it too hard to suggest anything, but I am quite indecisive. ZI really want to get a great system.
I heard on another topic that after 60 FPS the human eye cant notice change. If so, please suggest no max than that.
January 14, 2012 6:20:50 PM

1TB will do fine, i'm not too sure what you mean with the 60 FPS thing, though. I didn't exactly mention anything with FPS.
January 14, 2012 6:26:18 PM

Isn't it true that anything higher than 60 FPS isn't noticeable? If so, I want my system to run everything at 60 FPS. Also, I want to multitask alot.
January 14, 2012 6:28:24 PM

The proposed build won't have any frame rate issues, you'll easy run at 60 FPS on just about everything.
January 14, 2012 6:48:50 PM

Will look at it shortly. On phone atm so cant.
More build suggestions welcome.
January 14, 2012 8:40:56 PM

Just had a look at the build. It is very solid. If I were to switch the PSU with the Antec Earthwatts 750W PSU ($93) from newegg, would that be alright? Also, could I find the Monitor, GPU, and HDD at newegg?
January 15, 2012 4:32:30 AM

If you are spending this much just wait until april, you will probably get buyer's remorse if you do this and it's anything like gen1 i series & SB.
January 15, 2012 4:37:47 AM

I am pretty impatient about building in March as is. Also, like I said, I can't trust time in my case.
Also, not to be rude, but I haven't really gotten many build suggestions, so I am pretty disappointed every one keeps telling me to wait until later. If I could wait until later, I would, but I cannot.. So if you could please suggest a build based on what I said, that would be appreciated greatly..
January 15, 2012 3:24:23 PM

. . . I thought I would get lots of ideas on builds. I am very disappointed at the results... Please, someone help!
January 15, 2012 3:30:02 PM

I already gave you an amazing build, all you had/have to do is find those parts on newegg, it isn't exactly rocket science.
January 15, 2012 3:56:57 PM

One build suggestion doesnt really help. A lot of he other topics have many build s suggested. No one even replied with a build other than you.. No one even commented on the build I linked.
January 15, 2012 4:05:24 PM

I don't think you understand too well. There is nothing that will beat that for gaming, you don't need another build. However, feel free to ignore me, it's like I know anything. Oh wait, quite the contrary. I wish you the best of luck, it seems you'll need it.
January 15, 2012 7:00:46 PM

You just assume I do not appreciate your help? What is wrong with asking for more opinions?!
January 16, 2012 12:09:58 AM

I am really getting annoyed with this. No one besides hiimm has even suggested anything! I can't just work off one opinion given..
January 16, 2012 12:17:07 AM

hiimnickwhoareu said:
Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Km2
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Km2/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($68.77 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($559.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 800W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24LS70 DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Samsung S23A300B 23.0" Monitor ($189.98 @ Mac Connection)
Total: $1657.65
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-01-14 13:52 EST-0500)

I see a few problems with your suggested build. First of all, OCZ SSDs are very unreliable. Crucial M4 is a MUCH better SSD Manufacturer. Second of all, ASUS is pretty much the best ODD manufacturer as well. He'd be better off with ASUS DVD 24X Drive. The Monitor you suggested him is good, but the ASUS 23.6" Full HD Monitor is $20 cheaper and is of better quality. Fourth of all, why a Full-Tower case? If you suggested the single 7970 Card, why get a case that is too big? You should know that Full Tower is mainly for builds that use tri-fire/tri-sli. Regarding tri-fire of the 7970, he won't need it. The single card is strong enough for what he plans to do.

Another thing, 750W is plenty for a single 7970. The Antec Earthwatts he linked is a better deal. The RAM he linked is also a better deal. The tall heat spreaders will get in the way of installation of some components.
January 16, 2012 12:30:37 AM

fire r a g e said:
So far, I only have the i5-2500k and the Hyper 212 EVO decided on.

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

Here is abuild I came up with. I went with the gtx 580 over the 7970, and the 2600k listed is just a placeholder for the 2500k, which would bring the build in at about 1850. If you can't stretch your budget by 50 bucks to reach this, go for a smaller HDD. Enjoy!
January 16, 2012 12:35:28 AM

Since I am pretty forgetful with $, I told my mom to keep it. I only have $1800, but I was given $20 yesterday for helping my dad with something. So I can only stretch it by $20.
Thanks for the build btw! I just have one question: Is Corsair really a good SSD manufacturer? What Azeem said isn't true?
January 16, 2012 12:49:31 AM

fire r a g e said:
Since I am pretty forgetful with $, I told my mom to keep it. I only have $1800, but I was given $20 yesterday for helping my dad with something. So I can only stretch it by $20.
Thanks for the build btw! I just have one question: Is Corsair really a good SSD manufacturer? What Azeem said isn't true?

While I can't vouch for their longevity(and no one really can at this point) the Corsair Force Series 3 SSD's score very high in the passmark hard drive benchmarks. Most of the SSD problems people currently have with any brand are being pretty quickly remedied by firmware fixes, and many of the problems are most likely due to user error(inproper settings in the bios, using the wrong sata 6 controller on the board, etc) Corsair has a reputation for being a good company, and deservedly so. If you are wary of trying the corsair SSD, and planning only on using the SSD as a boot drive, you could check out the Crucial M4's. The write speed on these is slow compared to most SSD's, but the only writing you would be doing is during game/windows installs. You could even get a 64g SSD (the Corsair is 100 bucks, the Crucial is about 115), and use the SRT capability on the motherboard, which would eliminate a lot of the problems people were having with them. While this wouldn't give you as much of a performance increase as using it for a boot/game drive, it would improve the loading time of your most used programs by about 45%(as reported by Intel). The SRT basically combines the the SSD with the Hard Drive, for a dynamic hybrid drive that automatically speeds up your most used games and such. Using the 64 as an SRT drive would lower the total amount enough to leave you a bit of cash left over as well. I didnt read enough of the posts in this thread to know if you've got a copy of windows sitting around or anything, but that will add about 100 total to the build if you don't.
January 16, 2012 12:52:04 AM

I am confused now lol. Idk whether to increase program loading time by 45% or just use the SSD as a boot/game drive.
January 16, 2012 12:56:25 AM

azeem40 said:
I am confused now lol. Idk whether to increase program loading time by 45% or just use the SSD as a boot/game drive.

This is 45% over a conventional hard drive, not over SSD. I think this feature is mainly designed to cater to people who can't afford the bigger drives(it wont work on anything bigger than a 64g). With a 64 g ssd, you'd fill it with just windows and one or 2 games, SRT would remedy that, but since the programs are added based on how often you use them, you won't really notice an improvement right outta the box, it would probably take a few cycles of using x program for the software to decide that it needs to be added to the cached list, and AFAIK, there is currently no way to manually add programs/features to it.
January 16, 2012 1:20:41 AM

Sorry for replying on your thread fire, but I just wanted to know this for my build since I am purchasing it this week.
January 16, 2012 1:26:23 AM

jeremyp1979 said:
This is 45% over a conventional hard drive, not over SSD. I think this feature is mainly designed to cater to people who can't afford the bigger drives(it wont work on anything bigger than a 64g). With a 64 g ssd, you'd fill it with just windows and one or 2 games, SRT would remedy that, but since the programs are added based on how often you use them, you won't really notice an improvement right outta the box, it would probably take a few cycles of using x program for the software to decide that it needs to be added to the cached list, and AFAIK, there is currently no way to manually add programs/features to it.

It is also a tough decision for me. Since my budget allows it, I was going to use the 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD so I can store more than just 1 or 2 games on it. I am also confused. :p 
January 16, 2012 10:39:04 AM

fire r a g e said:
Anyone have parts suggestions?
EDIT: I really like the look of the LIAN LI cases. What you think?

fire r a g e said:
7 hrs and no suggestions. Please help.

fire r a g e said:
Anyone?

fire r a g e said:
. . . I thought I would get lots of ideas on builds. I am very disappointed at the results... Please, someone help!

fire r a g e said:
I am really getting annoyed with this. No one besides hiimm has even suggested anything! I can't just work off one opinion given..

Thread closed due to constant bumpage.

Don't...
Bump posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first
!