Case from Scratch - Ideas

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Me and my dad have decided to build a custom PC case completely from scratch. He works for a glass company so he can get many materials. Things such as plexi-glass, lexan, aluminum, steel, etc. We have a lot of resources as well. We have a bridge port milling machine in our garage.

So, our idea for this case, is to look like a motor cycle trellis, for anyone who has ever seen a Ducati. We were inspired to do this because of my dad's motorcycle. The housing that the engine is in, is constructed of tube steel, in a trellis type structure. Like such:

07_Ducati_Monster_trellis.jpg

We decided that it would be cool to make a case like that. The idea is to make the case out of tube like that, welding it, bending, etc, using bolts and things like so to construct it. I was wondering what everyone thought of this idea. This will also be the build log for this idea if we do end up doing, depending on what everyone thinks, or if someone has a better idea.

Here is another good example.
2009%20frame%20039.jpg

I will be drafting up some drawings as well, and some scale models out of some wire as well. Please offer feedback and ideas that anyone may have.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Presentation I was thinking would be sort of like the second picture. Somewhat at an angle, with the motherboard sort of diagonal, facing the front, power supply mounted on the back, and I may even go as far as to get some extensions for the power supply and run some of the wires through through the tubing.

Lutfij

Titan
the good thing about trusses/trellis is that they are self supporting - they can go in odd directions, provided you maintain a good centre of gravity. the materials you mentioned will come in handy so you won't need to get them from online retailers :p

if your going this route, I'd see myself doing alot of sketchup/sketching to see how you can make them look snazzy like a ducati frame :)

cablemanagement will be awesome as you can route them across the structural network.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah. It's gonna be a red/white theme, like a ducati. The kind of red that is on this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146086 only not quite. And I agree. Cable management will be so awesome. Also, I was thinking of using a gauge cluster for readouts such as temperature, fan speeds, etc. Not quite sure how I would do that but it might be an interesting challenge. I'm gonna start sketching soon.

Lutfij

Titan
gauges ? like the fast and the furious' souped up rides :) ? that'd be sweet! about that CM idea, you can use these(scroll down to see the cable tie mounts for mobo standoff replacement) like a regular tie mount but its invisible and can be hidden by the structure.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
20486252be16440525064924.jpg

something like that, take it apart, put in white and/or red leds.

something like that I guess :p
And thanks for the link. Those could come in handy.

I like the gauge idea... to take it one further... leds (oil, fuel, check engine,) could be lit as pwr led, Hdd led, etc... dials can be left (if digital input - some are, some are still mechanical) and wired to Speedo=temp, Tach=CPU load, Temp=GPU Load or some combo thereof... that could be really cool. Might be a little difficult though, I've never personally looked into that kind of 'cross wiring' or whatever you would call it... but I think it sure sounds cool.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah well I have an old case from my first computer, that is tiny, that I am thinking of using for a radbox at some point, and could probably just gut the electronics/switches etc. out of that..... hmmmm....

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
i have a bunch of old cases that i might end up ripping the leds and power buttons out of, i dont think the wire leads/pins have changed much so they can still be used, you could use things like that for your power and led wiring, maybe use heavier wires and just solder the lights/switches on. goo dplace to find old computers to scavenge parts from= old office buildings or businesses, and possibly transfer stations/dumps/junkyards, those ones might need cleaning and testing first though... rats just love wiring for some reason.. but awsome sounding build man, my question, though, is is it going to be in the shape of an actual motorcycle frame? or just custom to look somewhat like a computer case? and what are you going to use for cooling? if there is no outer case plates, the air would dissapate in the open much faster than in a closed case. and my dad thought of using a small engine radiator for watercooling, anyone know if that would be a possible idea? would fit this case well i think.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Some interesting ideas.
@Mildgamer, I like your idea for the radiator, though I have no clue if that would work or not. We have a few old snowmobiles laying around that I could rip stuff like that out of to test.
@Lutfi, some good ideas being tossed around on that thread. Thanks!
@Rufus, I never said no chrome. We'll see, the paint will be one of the last things to be done so I might see if I can try to fit in some chrome into the build :p

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
@wizbang, the radiators from a snowmobile might be too big, maybe a smaller vehicle? i was thinking similar to lawn mower but those dont really have radiators, well, a junkyard owner would be a good place to start if you do decide to make some crazy hybrid cooling radiator.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Thats all I ask :wahoo: