I installed a new mobo, but now I get no monitor response!

JunAyes

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
In an attempt to repair a prior problem that came up while installing a Corsair H60 to my PC I bought and installed a new mobo, Asus M5A95R2.0 and upon installing it along with another dibb of RAM.

My issue now is that upon turning the power on ( all the appropriate fans work , GPU fan, liguid cooling fan, system fan) the mobo light gives me the all green buuuut my monitor is simpy blank. The standby light (orange) is just staring at me!!

I've been troubleshooting for about two days now with no result. So here I am, any input is welcome! and of course Thank You guys.

JunAyes

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Ok I apoogize. Here's a run down of my system.

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

Cooling : AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

Media: SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )

Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

HDD: HGST HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Ram: 3x CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Now, like I said earlier I had some issues after installing my H60 cooling system. So I decided to install a new mobo, I had a ASUS M5A78L-M LX AMD Socket AM3+ Micro AX mobo but now I have what is shown above.

JunAyes

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I replaces my old mobo with the new one and of course placed all the other components where they should be. I did notice that the P3 port on my mobo was has 8 pins now it used to be 4 pins, I just wanted to not that.

All my power connections seem to be in the right place as I have check them over quite few times. I hit the power on my case and the systems seems all ready, the fans are running including my Liquid Cooling for the CPU, the mobo power status light is green but the monitor doesn't flinch an inch! The stand by light which is orange simply stares at me.

I hypothesis that I need a new PSU to accomadate for the new dibb of RAM and the new mobo, but I wanted an second opinions.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Your PSU shouldn't be the problem, its a good make, and it has plenty of power for what you have installed. First off, just to make sure, your GPU has the power plugged in to it? It's seated correctly? Did you say it was just one more stick of RAM and not 2? If so Have you tried booting without the new stick of RAM? Does it POST? Can you get in to your BIOS? or is it just black from the start?

JunAyes

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Yes my GPU has power connected to it, the fan spins and what not. It was just one more stick of RAM not two. I have tried reseating and switching the RAM around but I've gotten nothing.

I dont know if it POST's because the monitor doesn't respond it simply stays black.

Now that I can rule out the PSU, i'm down to the GPU and if it has problems or the RAM.... or even the mobo.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I am sorry if I didn't understand, but you tried it with just 2 sticks of RAM and not 3? The reason I ask is because your mother board supports Dual Channel RAM, and you have to have them installed in pairs I believe. You have 4 RAM slots, 2 black and 2 blue, make sure that your original 2 sticks of IDENTICAL RAM go into the same colored slots, leave the third (brand new) one out and give it a shot, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you and you already tried this but I just have to make sure. because other than the CPU cooler that is the only change you made, and I'd like to rule that out :)

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Yes, although the memory controller supports flex mode, running memory this way can be a pain to get stable. For a quick debug, I would clear CMOS, and place a single memory module in the slot furthest from the CPU and see if the system will then POST.

JunAyes

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

I wish that using my Identical RAM in corresponding color slots would've worked, but i still get no response from my monitor.

JunAyes

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

I just gave it a try. Removed the CMOS battery, put it back in, placed my GPU back in and re-connected the power connectors, removed all RAM but one and moved the remaining stick to the slot furthest from the CPU..... and still my monitor just doesn't respond :??:

Upon unplugging my monitor from the GPU I get a message that says "Cable Not Connected" then I plug it into my GPU I get a "No Signal". Obvious because the power is off. So I've ruled out my monitor being defective.

I'm getting closer and closer to believing that my GPU is just acting u. I'm not sure. i don't want to just go buying parts all willy-nilly

TRENDING THREADS