Question about power supply

daman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
I have my power supply and fans for my case, but do not have motherboard. Is it possible to turn on power supply to power the fans to see what they look like?

deadlee690

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
yes, just be sure to unplug from the wall first and then plug in the paper clip. i wouldn't touch the paper clip while its running though. you can see a photo of how to do it on swiftechs website. people do this a lot in water cooling so they can run their pumps to fill a system without having the rest of the pc on.

daman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007

I have 11 fans hooked to a front panel controller. Is it ok to test it with that many fans plus the control panel?

As long as the fan controller can handle it

@deadlee
You were doing so well.
The current isn't running thru the paper clip.

No. The green wire is a control line. Open circuit, there is 5 volts on it. When shorted to ground (like to turn the PSU on), only a couple of milliamps (thousandths of an amp) flow through it.

Hey, I was curious once, so I checked several of my power supplies.

deadlee690

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
on my psu i get 2.5v through the paper clip but i still try not to touch it. you can never be to safe when dealing with electricity. in my pc with 8 120mm fans they won't come on full power with the paper clip but i can run about 4 no problem.

The green line is raised up to 5 V by a very weak source so that when the motherboard shorts it to ground to boot the PSU up it doesn't fight it or damage anything. I would be surprised if the source was even capable of providing 100 mA, remember, its normally running a dead short between it and ground when the system is on so you don't want to have much if any current capability there or you can start heating up wires and efficiency takes a hit.

And as delluser said, you were doing so well, i was surprised. Stick around, you have potential.