Sign in with
Your question

I changed my cpu fan and now my computer wont boot

Last response: in Components
April 27, 2012 1:25:42 AM

Hello, I recently had to change the psu in my friend's computer and had no problems with it until I had to change the cpu fan/heatsink. Now the computer will turn on but will not boot. All fans and everything spin but nothing on the screen. I have tried changing video cards but get the same thing...no signal to the monitor...any suggestions?
a b ) Power supply
a c 92 à CPUs
April 27, 2012 1:59:38 AM

recheck all your cable to see if you did not forget one also look for the one that power the graphic card
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 124 à CPUs
April 27, 2012 3:15:43 AM

graphics card power cable(s) and CPU power cable are the two most common cables to get neglected during reassembly - like scout says, check those first. If all is good there, we can go to the next step... POST, does the computer make any beeping noises when turned on?
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 11:18:31 AM

Make sure that the CPU fan is installed in the CPU fan header. POST checks for a signal on that header and won't boot without it.
m
l
April 27, 2012 12:22:53 PM

Is it possible that you dislodged the cpu, i now its unlikely but it worth a stab at.
m
l
April 27, 2012 9:01:20 PM

Disconnected all wires and re-seated them. Cpu is in place firmly. No beeps at all when turned on. Same blank screen.
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 124 à CPUs
April 27, 2012 9:30:21 PM

Do you have a different PSU you could try - even low wattage?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 9:50:57 PM

What are your system specs? Did you verify that there is a fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard?
m
l
April 29, 2012 12:56:35 PM

Its an old computer...I am trying to get my hands on a lower wattage PSU. Everything is plugged in and seated. This only started happenning after i changed out the cpu fan and heatsink. I tried to put the old one back in and it did the same thing.
m
l
May 4, 2012 1:43:36 AM

Thanx all, but i figured out that the hard drive must be corrupted as I plugged it into another pc and it wouldnt boot either. Time to buy new.
m
l
Anonymous
May 5, 2012 2:40:37 AM

drjerms said:
Hello, I recently had to change the psu in my friend's computer and had no problems with it until I had to change the cpu fan/heatsink. Now the computer will turn on but will not boot. All fans and everything spin but nothing on the screen. I have tried changing video cards but get the same thing...no signal to the monitor...any suggestions?

pull the cpu out and check for bent pins.
m
l
!