Right time to change PSU?

Hi All

I will be upgrading from my i5-750 to an i5-3570k in the coming months; I've had my current PSU, an old Seasonic 650W, for some 2,5 years now and I am wondering if this would be the right occasion to swap it out for a new PSU ?

My understanding is that PSUs loose power/ burn-out/ lose capacity (whatever the technical term is) over time, hence my question.

Thank you in advance :)
5 answers Last reply
More about right time change
  1. Great PSU and a Seasonic PSU will last a long time; you don't need to replace it.
  2. Agreed. No need to replace it.
  3. 3rd. No need to replace :) 650w is plenty of power and as previous said, SeaSonic make fantastic quality PSU's.
  4. Excellent, thank you for your input - I will hold on to it for yet another CPU generation then. Any suggestions as to when I should get a PSU - another 2 years or so?

Thanks
  5. Luer said:
    Hi All

I will be upgrading from my i5-750 to an i5-3570k in the coming months; I've had my current PSU, an old Seasonic 650W, for some 2,5 years now and I am wondering if this would be the right occasion to swap it out for a new PSU ?

My understanding is that PSUs loose power/ burn-out/ lose capacity (whatever the technical term is) over time, hence my question.

Thank you in advance :)

At stock clocks you will be decreasing your power consumption, significantly
    3570K when loaded uses less power than a 2500K
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3770k-i5-3570k_8.html

2500K uses a good deal less power than an I5-750 750
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumption-efficiency,3060-11.html

Overclocking could make you match the power consumption of the I5-750, not an issue even if you surpassed that

Have had my Seasonic built Corsair 620 for 6 years, multiple builds, still going strong

Only if you're just looking to burn money

Um, yea, capacitor aging , it does exist, many people go way overboard in thier determination of it's effects
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i5 Components