Currently using 6850 1GB...time for an upgrade, or wait?

Sly_Reaper

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Hey All,

I've been upgrading my computer bit by bit over the past year and I've finally come down to my GPU as the final "old"piece.

The other specs are as follows:

i7 2600k CPU
8GB 1600 Corsair RAM
1TB 7200RPM HDD
64GB Intel SSD (can't remember exact model number, but it serves its purpose as the OS drive.)

Basically, I want to say that my investment has allowed me to probably skip the Ivy Bridge generation (at least initially) and hold off on any other major upgrades for the remainder of the year; I think 8GB of RAM will be plenty for what I do, but that's the only other thing I might update...since RAM is at an all-time low at the moment, though I really see no reason to.

Moving onto the point, I had every intention of upgrading to the Nvidia 600 series/AMD 7000 series at the beginning of this year, but it seems pretty much like a shoe-in at this point that the cards won't be released until early on next year.

The question at this point is, do I try to find a deal on a 570 or some other card during Christmas sales, or do you think the 6850 is good enough that I can hold off upgrading until the new generation of cards is released? I mean, it seems fine for what it does--although I certainly can't play all my games at ultra/max settings on my current 1080p set-up (single monitor), and that bothers me...to a small degree. Ultimately, I do want to save on money; so I'd rather not drop $300~350 on the 570 for example, and have a 660 (made-up number) outdo it in an month or two.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
The 6850 isn't that old of a card and buying a new card will be a big investment for a small increase in performance. Personally I stick with my grpahics cards until a game comes out and I can't even play it. Until then, it is serving its purpose. I love great graphics, but I can still enjoy my games without having to blow hundreds on hardware instead of the games themselves.

Personally, I'd wait until the next generation of cards, and if I couldn't do that I'd look into a 6850 crossfire solution since it is a cheaper upgrade and is better than a 570, and close to a 580. (microstuttering excluded)

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
^I agree, If you really want to max your games that bad - then go for it... Buy a new card. Otherwise, the 6850 is enough for atleast a few more months. I plan on doing 6850 crossfire. I hope i don't run into to many problems. Wish me luck! Lol

Sly_Reaper

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like I can hold off for a few more months before making any moves. If I really can't, I'll look into the crossfire ordeal although I'm really curious what the new 28nm chips can do...

Interesting tidbit I found today: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/jules/amd-reacts-to-kepler-news-7000-series-prepped-and-priced/