Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Advice on choosing a GeForce 570 GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2011 1:03:16 PM

I'm in the process of upgrading my system. I've just upgraded the motherboard, cpu, and ram. Now I'm looking to get a new graphics card. I'm looking to get good performance on games like Skyrim, BF3, and Crysis2.

I plan to buy something soon, likely this week or next unless anyone thinks I could get a deal on black friday/cyber monday. I want to spend under $400. Here are my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
Motherboard: ASUS p8z86 v pro
Ram: 2x4GB corsair vengeance DDR3 PC 12800
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX
850 watt power supply

I've been looking at a GTX 570 but there are so many manufacturers and slightly different choices. I'm also debating whether to buy a card with more than the standard 1.25 GB. I would consider SLI in the future but it is not my primary concern at the moment. These are some cards i've considered:

EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD Video Card - 2560MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

EVGA 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 SuperClocked Video Card - 1280MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready

MSI N570GTX TwinFrozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 Video Card - 1280MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready

Galaxy 57NKH3HS4GXK GeForce GTX 570 GC Edition Video Card - 1280MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Standard, 3-Way SLI Ready

Any advice is appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 1:42:57 PM

The MSI TwinFrozr III probably has the best cooling of all those, and is one of the most highly rated 570s. I wouldn't get the EVGA one with the stock cooling unless you care about SLI above all else and your mobo's PCIe slots are spaced very close together. Stock cooling doesn't compare to the MSI card and others. Also, the galaxy one is way cheaper than the rest, so I honestly would just get that since it is the same GPU after all.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 1:43:49 PM

Also, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p or lower and 1280mb should be enough for a while, although it's not as future proof as 1.5gb or 2gb cards.
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2011 2:22:42 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. One of my biggest questions is what is really so different between all of these cards if they have the same basic GPU?

I do intend to do some price shopping. Tiger was just convenient when I was posting. Also I do get a company discount with tiger. It depends on the specific product but it's usually something like cost + 6%.

I can't remember my monitor resolution right now. I will post it later. It is an older monitor however and definitely less than 1080p.
Score
November 16, 2011 2:47:43 PM

If you looking for single card for long term.
I like to recommend
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have Asus 6950 both of them are big. so big card.
You will laugh about 1min's... because i did.
So cool condition of these ASUS card are so nice to have.
My 6950 temp stay on 31C idle go up to 41~45C.
Damn nice to have one.
Good luck~ ^^
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 2:48:21 PM

I am partial to MSI's card because of the fantastic cooler and overclock potential. Take a look at the review over at Vortez, it comes very very close to MSI's GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme card.

Depending on what games you play, you may never need more than 1.25GB of VRAM. BF3 and Metro 2033 are big memory hogs and Skyrim can be if you want to max everything but turn down the AA to 4x and you won't use anything over 1.1 to 1.2GB.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 2:56:08 PM

kylej1018 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. One of my biggest questions is what is really so different between all of these cards if they have the same basic GPU?

I do intend to do some price shopping. Tiger was just convenient when I was posting. Also I do get a company discount with tiger. It depends on the specific product but it's usually something like cost + 6%.

I can't remember my monitor resolution right now. I will post it later. It is an older monitor however and definitely less than 1080p.

Yes all of them use the same GPU chip that Nvidia themselves make. The only real major difference is in the size and cooling of each card. Also, some cards may have a design that's slightly more stable when overclocking or tests their GPU chips more to ensure higher overclocking potential. But at the end of the day it's all the same GPU.
Score
November 16, 2011 4:11:31 PM

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to buy a card with more memory. As long as it has good cooling, can I overclock it myself?

Can someone recommend a card with more memory or cards other than the ones I listed in my first post? I'm not dead-set on any of those cards.
Score
November 17, 2011 2:46:45 PM

Thanks for everyone's help so far. It seems that I made some miscalculations (good ones) and I could spend as much as $500. Does anyone have any different suggestions? I'm still thinking about a GTX 570 or perhaps a GTX 580.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 2:57:55 PM

Honestly, I would still get a GTX 570 (a nice one like the twin force III) and then get a really nice SSD to go along with it. You will not regret it. The difference between a stock 570 and a stock 580 is only about 10% (which you can make up for by overclocking the 570). So its not worth it IMO.

Save the money or get TWO cheap 570's (probably spend over $500) and go with that, or buy one and then buy the other one later when you have saved up a few bucks.
November 23, 2011 11:02:29 PM

A final thanks for the great advice. I went with the MSI twin frozr III. I've been using it for about three days now. It works like a dream :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2011 1:35:42 AM

Glad to hear it, enjoy.
Score
December 5, 2011 12:28:23 PM

Best answer selected by KyleJ1018.
Score
!