ukassassin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hi guys,im new to forums so hope im in the correct place. i recently built a new system, when i do the windows exp index rating,i get a blue screen,windows restarts and the fans on my grafix card stop spinning,but still heats up,i have to manually shut my pc down to avoid heating up issues. my specs are...
Windows home premium 64bit, Amd fx6100 X6 @3.3 ghz,Asus M5A78L-M/USB3,16 gig Patriot pc3-10600 1333MHz ram,Gigabyte GTX560ti (OC version @900MHz),CIT Titan 650ut PSU, 2X seagate Hdd @ 500gig and 320gig. CIT Mars gaming case. i think thats all. also,just had a crash playing MW2 (blue screen and fans stopped working on Grafix card again)
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

You should start by getting a good PSU.

Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or XFX are the brands you want to look for.

It sounds like your video card is overloading the PSU. You can't trust the labels for 95% of PSU brands. The CIT 650w is probably more like a 250w which is why it breaks when strain is put on the video card during the test.

ukassassin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
thanks for the reply Raiddinn. yes,i should of done my homework on the PSU.
UPDATE! i sorted the blue screen/windows index issue. it seems that this particular card has overclocking issues, i took advice from a friend and got msi afterburner,then underclocked it back to factory settings (before the OC) and tadaaa...windows index ran a dream. got a 7.9 btw :) sooooo,coz its kinda defeating the object of underclockin a OC card..its goin back for a refund,might invest in the gtx 590.
Again,thanks for the help. Hope this helps anyone else out who are havin trouble with this card. Regards Jim :)

It might not be a problem with the card.

When you underclock the video card it uses less power. It is possible your PSU can't handle the OCd power requirements, but it CAN handle the underCd power requirements.

That is potentially 100w difference or even more. It wouldn't shock me at all to learn the PSU failure point falls in that range.

That is why I suggested you get a new PSU before you make conclusions about the video card.

ukassassin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
oh i see,ok b4 i send my video card back,i have another CIT psu 550watt,could i plug video card into this one,and leave other psu working the pc?

ukassassin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
EDIT : just bought this >> 750W XFX Pro Series ATX PSU with EasyRail™ Technology
Will update later today on the outcome. Thanks for your help guys. :)

There are PSU connectors that let you use 2 at the same time, but you would have to figure out how to mount two of them at the same time and you would have to get the connectors and a second PSU.

Easier to just have one better one.

The XFX 750w is a much better one.

ukassassin

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Hi,just to update...The Video card issue has been fixed,thanks to the new xfx pro 750watt PSU :wahoo: .
Raiddinn thanks very much for the help mate. Ur a TECHNO ANGEL :D
Regards Jim

YW. GL with the new setup.

It makes me mad that there are not good enough testing standards for PSUs. Some PSU that can put out 650w safely at 0c might only put out 350w safely at 25c. Still, if they can prove they did a test and 650w was the result then they can put 650w on the PSU.

A different maker like XFX might test at 50c and get 650w which increases to 900+w when the temperature drops to 25c.

Still, both have the same 650w written on them.

Trust me, it is a source of never-ending problems. I advise people about this most every day.