Sign in with
Your question

Why do you think there is no HyperThreading on Ivy Bridge i5s

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 5:42:28 AM

I want to know any good reasons on why they decided to kill hyperthreading, on my i7 2630QM I really took advantage of it with PhotoShop and games like FarCry 2. I was thinking of building an i5 array for my next big budget build but with no hyperthreading would it just be better to jump up to i7?
April 27, 2012 6:00:35 AM

To make you buy an i7. I really don't think failed tests would affect this, as the HT part is a very small unit. So I think it's just to have another separation: i3 2x2, i5 4x1, i7 4x2.
Just like selling the Pentium brand with smaller caches (although here the disabled cache could have faults). As opposed to GPUs, where usually they make 3 different arhitectures/generation (which they still separate like CPUs), the CPU world is really 1 production line separated at testing time based on failed modules and power consumption (so your i7 mobile could have been a brother to your desktop i3 or even pentium from the same gen.).
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 6:02:16 AM

There was no hyperthreading on Sandy Bridge i5s either. Or any other desktop i5s

If you are referring to the mobile i5s, I hadn't heard that and it seems doubtful since even the SB mobile i3s have HT
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 6:09:56 AM

Because the i5 is the cheaper model.
a c 446 à CPUs
April 27, 2012 6:10:19 AM

It's called market segmentation.

Pentium G series (Sandy Bridge Core) = Dual Core
i3 = Dual Core + HT
i5 = Quad Core
i7 = Quad Core + HT
!