PC not wroking, no POST just black screen

zaqaz1

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Today I went to connect my new SSD inside my 1 and a half year old desktop to format it. When I connected the SSD up I took out the DVD SATA data cable as the other ports are quite hard to get at with my case. When I booted it it couldn't find my origional hard drive (turns out I loosened one of the cables) anyway I just took the SSD out but once I reconnected everything something seems to have happened. When I turn it on everything powers up as normal but there's no POST and the monitor stays on standby. I've tried resetting the CMOS, removing the expansion cards and booting with a disk but none of them have worked. Any ideas on what I could do?

Specs:
Asus P6T-SE mobo
Barracuda 500GB HDD
Asus ATI radeon EAH5770 GPU
Intel core I7 920 CPU

Thanks, ROB

zaqaz1

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I haven't noticed any missing power connectors anyway.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Try disconnecting absolutely everything and also unscrewing the mounting screws for the motherboard. This way, you should have only the motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, case power, and system speaker connected. If you still get no POST, then you either have a bad motherboard or bad CPU and you'll need to return one of these. If you have a spare motherboard that your CPU can work with, try using that motherboard. If it still doesn't work, then you've got a bad CPU. If that works, you've got a bad motherboard. Return whichever is bad.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

I hate it when my comp won't wrok!

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
POST fine but no video? Do you have a VGA port on your motherboard? Try connecting your monitor to that if you do.

Also, is your monitor set to the right source.... i.e. Analog or Digital...

Seems more like a video problem. If your PC posts fine as far as you can tell, but you get no display on your monitor... likely it is a loose cable(DVI/VGA/Power to the card), bad video card/PCI slot, or just wrong source on monitor.