Sign in with
Your question

Non Gaming Extreme Budget PC $300-350

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2012 2:01:12 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Between now and first week of Feb

Budget Range: 300-350

System Usage from Most to Least Important: School and surfing the net

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse and speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Cannot use newegg, as it charges tax in my state.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Might be flexible

Additional Comments: This computer is for my wife. Her ancient pc just had a mobo fail, and just isn't worth salvaging. I'm needing to build this for her and have been given an extreme budget. I am unsure if building will be more cost efficient or not as I do need a new monitor etc.

Gaming I do not care about. Onboard video should be perfectly fine.

More about : gaming extreme budget 300 350

January 14, 2012 2:03:11 PM

I forgot to mention that i do not need windows.
m
l
January 14, 2012 2:09:02 PM

It would probably be a good idea to just buy something from DELL.

OEM computers own the ultra low budget market.

Maybe you can sell the extra Windows CD Key since you would get another one for cheap as part of the DELL PC. You could possibly even profit off this. The Windows key with the new PC is priced at like $30, if you can sell the one you don't from the old PC for more than that it would be a net gain.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2012 2:14:04 PM

So dell is the OEM you would recommend? Also from which site?
m
l
January 14, 2012 2:23:12 PM

$300-350 w/monitor can only be done with a prebuilt. Dell is the best choice.

By the way selling a Windows key is illegal unless your a authorized MS distributor AND you sell it with a hardrive.
m
l
January 14, 2012 3:11:07 PM

geekapproved said:
$300-350 w/monitor can only be done with a prebuilt. Dell is the best choice.

By the way selling a Windows key is illegal unless your a authorized MS distributor AND you sell it with a hardrive.

Any particular sites or models of dells I should look for? I am not as familiar with dells, other than some of the older dimensions and optiplexs that I administer at work.
m
l
January 14, 2012 4:02:56 PM

I also have the option of doing 300 without a monitor
m
l
January 14, 2012 4:38:06 PM

Look on www.dell.com for which one you want and then search around to see if you can get it for cheaper anywhere else.

Ok, nit picky detail, people cannot sell Windows to anyone unless they are the CEO of Microsoft. Individuals can only transfer their licensing rights.

It also does matter which sort of license you possess.

Per the Windows 7 Professional (retail) license terms (the one I have)

18. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.
a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may make a one time transfer of the software and this agreement, by transferring the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to a third party. The first user must remove the software before transferring it separately from the computer. The first user may not retain any copies of the software.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only with the licensed computer. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier edition.
c. Other Requirements. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

I don't see anything in there about being an authorized MS distributor or that hard drives have to be included.

According to this particular set of license terms, if you are willing to transfer all of the CD, keys, rights, and all of that and delete it off your own PC then you can transfer this license to whoever you want for whatever compensation you want.

OP - You would be advised to consult your license terms and conditions to see whether it is possible to transfer your license to someone else. Different OSs and different methods of purchase involve different licenses with different terms and conditions.

If you bought an OEM system builder license for your own personal use, then transferring it to someone else could potentially make it a legal license instead of an illegal one.

The best source of information is what came with the software originally.

- Edit - Those two computers look like pretty bad deals. You might try posting an ad on Craigslist and see what you can come up with. Someone recently came on TH asking about a build they saw for $500 which would cost like $1k to buy retail.
m
l
!