AMD FX-8150 performing slower than it should?

audioe

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hi all,

I've had my Crosshair Formula V for 6 months or so now and I've noticed that my system just doesn't seem to be performing as well as it should. Firstly, here are my Specs:

Crosshair Formula V
FX-8150 @ 4.8Ghz (5.2Ghz Turb-Core)
2 x XFX HD 6870 in crossfire
8GB (2 x 4GB) Mushkin 2133Mhz RAM
Corsair F60A 60GB SSD
Corsair TX850 V2 850w PSU

Now my problem. I've noticed for a while now that fairly intensive games I play (BF3, GTA IV, Skyrim) are only getting about 20 - 40 fps Average with almost everything on Ultra at 1080p whereas my friend with a similar setup gets considerably more. This got me thinking and i ran a 3DMark Vantage benchmark and decided to compar my results with people with a similar system

Now i know i shouldn't care about benchmarking stats and stuff as they're mainly for bragging rights, but there are some worrying differences between my system and otheres with the same/similar setup.

A comparison between my system and another which is almost identical:

Mine
CPU: AMD FX-8150
Processor clock: 4816Mhz
Physical/Logical Processors: 1/4
# of cores: 2
CPU Score: 10695.26

Other:
CPU: AMD FX-8150
Processor clock: 4305Mhz
Physical/Logical Processors: 1/8
# of cores: 4
CPU Score: 21954.63

So you can probably guess what my question is... Why does this other system show 1/8 physical/logical processors and 4 cores? The asnwer to that will probably explain why their score is almost double mine despite mine being clocked another 500Mhz. I assume it's something to do with Turbo Core perhaps... I have this enabled on my system, do I really need to? I'm a gamer, and i don't know if it's really necessary for me.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
If your overclocking Disable turbo core. It adds an extra voltage increase when it tries to activate.

as for the number of cores, does windows task manager show 8 cores under the performance tab? If not then check your bios settings carefully, especially for "core control" options.

BF3 should definately be getting ~ 90 fps with that video card setup, getting ~ 80-120 on 2 6970s.

audioe

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for the answers guys. @noob2222, it's funny you should say that as I'm almost sure (i'm not at home to test at the minute, but will do when i get chance) that under the performance tab it only shows 4, but i assumed that due to the bulldozer architecture (all that "modules" stuff). Is this incorrect? Do other people with Bulldozer Fx-81xx's see 8 here?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
yes, there will be 8. 40-60 fps sounds about right for running as a quad core.

35kr7tu.jpg

audioe

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for that, that clarifies things then...

@photonboy, i manually enabled all of my cores within the BIOS which is why I assumed it would definitely definitely definitely use all 8, it seems I was wrong :-S I'll double check again tonight and post the outcome. Fingers crossed, i can't be bothered having to reaplce a faulty part :(

audioe

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Well, it seems my Boot Manager was having me over. I upgraded from a Quad Core to a Bulldozer and thanks to you responses I found elsewhere on the net that in rare cases your previous processor can kind of tattoo some info into the boot manager.

So i went to msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced Options, and lo and behold, the "Number of Processors:" check box was ticked, and "4" was selected in the drop down. Strangely, it only went up to 4, so i couldn't select 8. But i simply unticked it and rebooted and bam! 8 Graphs in task manager and 100FPS in Battlefield :) Can't believe i've been running it half-assed all this time. What an idiot...

Thanks a million for the assistance guys :)

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Glad it's solved and you're happy with your CPU. :)