Game System check up.

tagnator

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hello,

After a couple of weeks working, I finally managed to save some money for a gaming computer. Since I'm new with the whole picking my own parts computer thing I would like to get some advice :)

The current setup I have picked is like this:

-CPU I7 2700k
-ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard
-GPU Club 3D HD Radeon 6990
-Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power supply
-Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ HDD
-Corsair Vengeance 8gb Ram
-Sony Optiarc AD-7280S Dvd Drive
-CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II Case

The system is mainly for gaming purposes with an eye on the future, since I will go do a study next year, I wont be able to replace parts that easy, because I wont have that much money.

Could you guys give me some advice, maybe to replace certain parts or something, will all the parts be compatible etc?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the English, Dutchman here :)!

tagnator

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks Drunkducki!

I've heard that the i5 is enough for gaming indeed, so maybe I will change it. But why the 7970? From the benchmarks I saw that the 6990 is better, but the 7970 is cheaper.

The 6990 is two cards in one, so SLIing it in the future won't scale as well as combining other, single cards would. It's also absurdly loud. It sounds like a revving jet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WjUGrJfpGuE#t=116s
Go 7970. It's the latest generation, and it's currently the best value for a very-high-end graphics card.

Also, get this hard drive. It's $25 cheaper AND comes with a DVD drive, so it's effectively $50 cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

tagnator

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks Dish_Moose and Kajabla, that thing makes an awfull noise indeed! I will go 7970 for sure now :)

Only thing is, I live in the Netherlands and when having problems, it's just annoying to send stuff back to the US (Where Newegg is from right?)

Anyway thanks!

BTW: Would you go for an 2700k or wait for the 3820, which isn't unlocked but has more 2 mb more cache memory