Digital Canon EOS SLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 12, 2005 11:32:24 AM

hi

i am thinking of buying a Canon EOS SLR.

I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera

can anyone let me know

thanks

ben

More about : digital canon eos slr

May 12, 2005 2:02:18 PM

"ben" <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i am thinking of buying a Canon EOS SLR.
>
> I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
> all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera.

They will all work exactly as they do on any film EOS SLR.
May 12, 2005 7:22:38 PM

In article <1115908344.790913.123870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
ben <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote:

>I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
>all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera

Are they Canon EF lenses? And are you aware of the crop factor of
digital?
May 12, 2005 8:01:37 PM

Are they all genuine Canon lenses?

If so yes they will work. If not they might need chipping before they will
work.

(Also dont forget the cropping factor. A 20-100 lens is effectively a
30-160 lens on all canon DSLR's exept the D1's)

"ben" <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i am thinking of buying a Canon EOS SLR.
>
> I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
> all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera
>
> can anyone let me know
>
> thanks
>
> ben

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:47:57 PM

"ben" <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i am thinking of buying a Canon EOS SLR.
>
> I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
> all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera
>
> can anyone let me know
>
> thanks
>
> ben

I have an original Rebel from ca. 1992 with a 35-85mm EF lens. I tried it on
my 20D and it worked flawlessly. (Of course, its optics are not pro level.)
any EF lens is compatible for AF and AE.

Sonrise
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:56:34 PM

"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
> In article <1115908344.790913.123870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> ben <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
>>all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera
>
> Are they Canon EF lenses? And are you aware of the crop factor of
> digital?

I'm not - as a newbie - could you explain - as I have now just puchased one
of these?
May 12, 2005 8:56:35 PM

In article <d5vudk$ra7$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>,
Mike R <news@mikeread.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> Are they Canon EF lenses? And are you aware of the crop factor of
>> digital?
>
>I'm not - as a newbie - could you explain - as I have now just puchased one
>of these?

Tell us what you've got! And congratulations!

You will notice that a 50mm lens on your digital, has the frame
of, say, an 85mm lens on a 35mm SLR. This has its good points:
you're probably well within the best area of any lens you put on there.
It makes long telephoto shots that much easier.

It has its downsides, too. Wide-angle photography just got much more
expensive. Where a 12mm lens was a novelty on a film camera, it's
something of a necessity on a 1.6:1 digital.

Another thing to be aware of with your lenses. Aftermarket lenses for
EOS are reverse engineered for the mount, for the autofocus, metering,
and focal length feedback. They did not design their lenses from Canon
specs. The current Tamron and Sigma lenses seem to work just fine on
EOS bodies. I have a Tamron zoom that works well, but I don't think
I'll be buying anything but Canon EF lenses looking forward.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:56:35 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:56:34 +0100, "Mike R"
<news@mikeread.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
>> In article <1115908344.790913.123870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>> ben <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
>>>all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera
>>
>> Are they Canon EF lenses? And are you aware of the crop factor of
>> digital?
>>

>I'm not - as a newbie - could you explain - as I have now just puchased one
>of these?

Here's a start.

http://www.millhouse.nl/digitalcropfactorframe.html

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:09:29 PM

Hi,

I bought the Canon 350D expecting my existing lenses to work from my film
EOS500. However, Sigma lenses in particular caused an error with the new
camera so I had to sell them on e-bay and am now looking for a replacement.

Why not take your exiisting lenses to a camera shop and try them?

Simon

"ben" <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i am thinking of buying a Canon EOS SLR.
>
> I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
> all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera
>
> can anyone let me know
>
> thanks
>
> ben

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:17:36 PM

Wow! That's quite a difference.

--
John Tucker
Integrity Web Design

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:56:34 +0100, "Mike R"
> <news@mikeread.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> "james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not - as a newbie - could you explain - as I have now just
>> puchased one of these?
>>

> Here's a start.
>
> http://www.millhouse.nl/digitalcropfactorframe.html
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:48:01 PM

> In article <d5vudk$ra7$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>,
> Mike R <news@mikeread.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Are they Canon EF lenses? And are you aware of the crop factor of
>>> digital?
>>
>>I'm not - as a newbie - could you explain - as I have now just puchased
>>one
>>of these?
>
> Tell us what you've got! And congratulations!
>
> You will notice that a 50mm lens on your digital, has the frame
> of, say, an 85mm lens on a 35mm SLR. This has its good points:
> you're probably well within the best area of any lens you put on there.
> It makes long telephoto shots that much easier.
>
> It has its downsides, too. Wide-angle photography just got much more
> expensive. Where a 12mm lens was a novelty on a film camera, it's
> something of a necessity on a 1.6:1 digital.
>
> Another thing to be aware of with your lenses. Aftermarket lenses for
> EOS are reverse engineered for the mount, for the autofocus, metering,
> and focal length feedback. They did not design their lenses from Canon
> specs. The current Tamron and Sigma lenses seem to work just fine on
> EOS bodies. I have a Tamron zoom that works well, but I don't think
> I'll be buying anything but Canon EF lenses looking forward.

Thanks James,

I just put my order into ICD this morning, It included the EF-S 18-55mm
f/3.5-5.6 II lens (??) and I purchased a sandisk Extreme III 1GB. Hopefully
it will be here soon.

Kind Regards

Mike
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:51:20 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:56:34 +0100, "Mike R"
<news@mikeread.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
>> In article <1115908344.790913.123870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>> ben <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
>>>all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera
>>
>> Are they Canon EF lenses? And are you aware of the crop factor of
>> digital?
>>

>I'm not - as a newbie - could you explain - as I have now just puchased one
>of these?

Another good explanation.

http://www.lonestardigital.com/multipler.htm

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 11:03:18 PM

ben <drbenmason@gmail.com> wrote:
>hi

>i am thinking of buying a Canon EOS SLR.

>I currently have a non-digital EOS SLR and wondered if all the lenses (
>all about five years old) I have will work on the new camera

>can anyone let me know

>thanks

>ben

Mine worked on a Canon Digital Rebel (300D).

--- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:25:05 AM

"John Ortt" <JohnOrtt@Idontwantspamsonoreturnaddress.com> wrote in message
> Are they all genuine Canon lenses?
>
> If so yes they will work. If not they might need chipping before they
> will
> work.
>
> (Also dont forget the cropping factor. A 20-100 lens is effectively a
> 30-160 lens on all canon DSLR's exept the D1's)

That would be on the 1Ds, on the 1D/mkII a 20-100 would be 26-130mm lens, or
the equivalent thereof.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

> They will all work exactly as they do on any film EOS SLR.

Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.
H.
May 13, 2005 2:52:10 AM

"Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote in message

> "PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message
> >

> > They will all work exactly as they do on any film EOS SLR.
> >
> Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
> You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.

Not really - 'crop factor' is an artifact of the body, not the lens. The
lens still does exactly as it was designed to do. The image circle projected
by the lens remains the same. The sensor simply 'sees' less of the projected
image.
May 13, 2005 12:35:57 PM

james wrote:

> It has its downsides, too. Wide-angle photography just got much more
> expensive. Where a 12mm lens was a novelty on a film camera, it's
> something of a necessity on a 1.6:1 digital.

That is a bit extreme...
An 18mm (or wider) lens was probably an extravagent luxury for most
people with a 35mm camera. I could never afford one. A good 28mm lens
was about as far as I could go / afford.
18mm on a 1:1.6 digital = about 29mm FOV. Pretty useful wide angle -
and comes with the standard kits lenses for Canon and Nikon. Wider
and/or faster is going to be expensive - but it always was.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:56:19 PM

In article <42837f7c$0$28631$4c56ba96@master.news.zetnet.net>,
root@simrose.co.uk (Simon/Rosemary) wrote:

> I bought the Canon 350D expecting my existing lenses to work from my
> film EOS500. However, Sigma lenses in particular caused an error with
> the new camera so I had to sell them on e-bay and am now looking for a
> replacement.
Contact Sigma - many of their older lenses can be reprogrammed. I know a
few people who have had their Sigma lenses updated and they now work fine
with their dSLRs

Iain
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:37:04 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:52:09 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com>
wrote:

>"PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message
>>

>> They will all work exactly as they do on any film EOS SLR.
>>
>Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
>You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.

What crop factor ask the EOS 1Ds?

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel,
read only a page."

Saint Augustine (354 - 430)
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 12:30:46 AM

> > > They will all work exactly as they do on any film EOS SLR.
> > >
> > Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
> > You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.
>
> Not really - 'crop factor' is an artifact of the body, not the lens. The
> lens still does exactly as it was designed to do. The image circle
projected
> by the lens remains the same. The sensor simply 'sees' less of the
projected
> image.

So your 'exactly' is incorrect then. There is a difference between film and
digital bodies, so how can the word 'exactly' be right?
Hannah.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 12:30:47 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:30:46 +0100, "Hannah" <hannah@example.com>
wrote:

>"PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

>> > Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
>> > You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.
>>
>> Not really - 'crop factor' is an artifact of the body, not the lens. The
>> lens still does exactly as it was designed to do. The image circle
>projected
>> by the lens remains the same. The sensor simply 'sees' less of the
>projected
>> image.
>>
>So your 'exactly' is incorrect then. There is a difference between film and
>digital bodies, so how can the word 'exactly' be right?

Not bodies the size of the sensor be it film or CMOS.

Every see a half frame 35mm camera?

http://www.subclub.org/shop/halframe.htm

> "PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

> > > Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
> > > You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.
> >
> > Not really - 'crop factor' is an artifact of the body, not the lens. The
> > lens still does exactly as it was designed to do. The image circle
> projected
> > by the lens remains the same. The sensor simply 'sees' less of the
> projected
> > image.
> >
> So your 'exactly' is incorrect then. There is a difference between film
and
> digital bodies, so how can the word 'exactly' be right?
> Hannah.

I think we're dealing with semantics here, Hannah. Nothing about the lens is
different - it's the camera/sensor that is different than what the lens was
designed for.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 1:42:10 AM

"Hannah" <hannah@example.com> wrote in message

> "PhotoMan" <photoman@wfeca.net> wrote in message

>> > Now that's not the perfect truth really is it?
>> > You have quite obviously overlooked the crop factor.
>>
>> Not really - 'crop factor' is an artifact of the body, not the lens. The
>> lens still does exactly as it was designed to do. The image circle
> projected
>> by the lens remains the same. The sensor simply 'sees' less of the
> projected
>> image.
>>
> So your 'exactly' is incorrect then. There is a difference between film
> and
> digital bodies, so how can the word 'exactly' be right?
> Hannah.

Because they function in exactly the same manner, they autofocus, meter and
allow light in. "Function" is a simple word.
That the camera uses less of the image transported to the sensor is not a
"function" of the lens. That would be like saying that a lens functions
differently on an old APS SLR than it did on a 35mm SLR...

--
!