Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer randomly shut down

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2012 4:08:52 PM

Hello, managed to post and install widows and steam, but then the pc suddenly shut down and now it won't turn on even though it show that there is power in the board

More about : computer randomly shut

Anonymous
January 14, 2012 4:23:54 PM

What are the specs of your computer?
Score
Related resources
January 14, 2012 7:56:27 PM

Did it become unplugged? did a breaker trip somewhere? How did it shut down?
Score
January 14, 2012 10:07:07 PM

it just randomly shut off and I cant turn it on again for a while, but then it turns on for two hours and shuts down again. There are no issues before this as I restart my computer again and again for updates but once it shuts down automatically(no widows screen just no lights in an instant) it won't start for a while happened twice so far
Score
Anonymous
January 14, 2012 11:27:39 PM

did you buy any chance only plug in the 20-pin connector and forget to put in the other 4 pin right next to it in your motherboard.
Score
January 14, 2012 11:38:56 PM

Quote:
did you buy any chance only plug in the 20-pin connector and forget to put in the other 4 pin right next to it in your motherboard.

no the 8-pin connector is in as well
Score
Anonymous
January 14, 2012 11:55:35 PM

Did you check the temp of your cpu and the voltages of the PSU in Bios?
Score
January 15, 2012 12:42:00 AM

Quote:
Did you check the temp of your cpu and the voltages of the PSU in Bios?

my computer won't start now what would i do in the bios?
Score
January 15, 2012 2:44:07 AM

what is "won't start"? you are going to have to explain exactly what isn't starting. are fans spinning up? I'm going to assume that you at the very least aren't getting POST when it won't start so I'm going to guess some kind of power supply issue, or some kind of hardware issue with the motherboard.

It could also be a temperature issue so you should install speedfan and see if anything is getting to hot. That's probably the first step. Using speedfan you can do a couple of things that you can't do in the Bios, you can test for temperature and voltage under load conditions, which can change the values quite a bit. It also makes it easier to keep an eye on it because it can show variables in a nice graph format and gives you some broad guidelines for temperatures using little icons. It's not a perfect measurement though (especially voltage) but is enough to indicate problems.
Score
Anonymous
January 15, 2012 4:14:16 AM

Try to check your cpu temperature in bios particularity after is shuts down and won't boot into the os . You can also try to see if your psu voltages are +- 5 %. Do you have a working psu around that you can use and maybe isolate the problem? Did you apply thermal paste?, ground yourself before working on pc? If you can get into the system I would follow Jamie's advice.
Score
January 15, 2012 11:16:30 AM

jamie_1318 said:
what is "won't start"? you are going to have to explain exactly what isn't starting. are fans spinning up? I'm going to assume that you at the very least aren't getting POST when it won't start so I'm going to guess some kind of power supply issue, or some kind of hardware issue with the motherboard.

It could also be a temperature issue so you should install speedfan and see if anything is getting to hot. That's probably the first step. Using speedfan you can do a couple of things that you can't do in the Bios, you can test for temperature and voltage under load conditions, which can change the values quite a bit. It also makes it easier to keep an eye on it because it can show variables in a nice graph format and gives you some broad guidelines for temperatures using little icons. It's not a perfect measurement though (especially voltage) but is enough to indicate problems.

It won't start as in it when I turn the psu on the green light on the motherboard signals that power is running through the board(but the lights on the graphics card doesn't go on, which it's supposed to do) when I turn on my power, those lights on the graphics card are now on but nothing else is on. That means the fans cpu or anything else, my dvd burner won't even open. My mem ok button doesn't respond at all its like there is not enough juice in the system, but I bought a 750 W sea-sonic power supply. I hope this description was good enough
Score
January 15, 2012 11:18:00 AM

Quote:
Try to check your cpu temperature in bios particularity after is shuts down and won't boot into the os . You can also try to see if your psu voltages are +- 5 %. Do you have a working psu around that you can use and maybe isolate the problem? Did you apply thermal paste?, ground yourself before working on pc? If you can get into the system I would follow Jamie's advice.

yes I put thermal paste and grounded myself
Score
Anonymous
January 15, 2012 6:04:51 PM

What you want to do is try to isolate the problem. If the CPU temperatures are normal when running the os ,you can exclude thermal issues with the CPU. Then it could be a problem with the PSU or maybe the mainboard. The easiest way would be to plug in a different PSU and see if the problems persist. One way to do it is buy a PSU from bestbuy, they have very lax return policies.
Score
January 16, 2012 4:46:24 PM

computer started working I had to slap the psu lol its been working for 5 hours weird
Score

Best solution

January 16, 2012 6:03:34 PM

Replace any PSU with problems like that AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, funny errors like that are all to likely to break/damage other components before the computer can safely shut down. Also before long some system files will become corrupted because of random shut downs all over the place. order an RMA as soon as possible (I assume the PSU is still under warranty because of the forum post you linked us to)

In case you are wondering what is happening it is likely a solder joint in the power supply is loose, and one part isn't making a solid connection with another. When you hit it the force is probably pushing it into the right shape. Problem is that it is not in securely and may come out with any kind of shock.
January 22, 2012 12:43:43 AM

Best answer selected by r0gamer94.
Score
January 22, 2012 8:33:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!