Sign in with
Your question

Boot Loop - PC not even getting to POST

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2012 4:57:21 PM

I put together this PC in June and I've had problems with boot looping ever since it was built. Sometimes it will POST and start up fine, but most of the time its a battle with me having to remove the power cord and CMOS battery, perform a CMOS reset, etc...in order to get it to boot. Once it does boot the problem is somewhat alleviated by raising the RAM voltage (1.53V) and changing some BIOS settings, but the boot looping still persists.

So far I've replaced the PSU and mainboard with no luck. In fact the latest mainboard just arrived yesterday and has an LED flashing to indicate a fried primary BIOS (thanks MSI). The proplem is that the system is boot looping before POST and I can't get into BIOS to recover the main BIOS chip.

A couple of other notes about what I'm trying.
1. No HDD/SDD's are hooked up.
2. No optical drives.
3. No GPU's, I'm running off the CPU right now.
4. 1 Stick of RAM in slot 1 as indicated in the manual (tried all four).
5. No USB accessories attached. Not even a keyboard and mouse.

So, at this point it has to be one of a couple of things.
1. Bad CPU.
2. Bad or incompatible RAM, which seems unlikely since Crucial gaurantees compatibility.
3. 2 x bad PSU's (unlikely).
4. 2 x bad motherboards.

Relevant Specs
1. MSI Z68A-GD80 B3
2. Intel 2600K
3. Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz
4. Corsair TX750M power supply.

More about : boot loop post

a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 2:55:08 AM

Have you tried to overclock the CPU, and if so how much so?
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 3:47:42 AM

You can reset the BIOS by taking the battery out for 30 minutes.

The RAM has like 1% failure rates, but even that isn't a guarantee.

You might want to push hard on it, even if the clips lock themselves, that doesn't guarantee that it is in far enough.

The CPU thing is possible, though.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2012 7:06:18 PM

phyco126 said:
Have you tried to overclock the CPU, and if so how much so?

If I can get it to boot OC'ing it works fine. But even stock clocks with default BIOS settings loaded it still does it.

I went out and bought one stick of no-name DDR3 this past weekend and have been testing it, so far so good. So it might not be bad RAM so much as incompatible RAM.
m
l
January 24, 2012 11:36:48 PM

Try checking the MoBo or any of the components to see if anything is touching the actual computer case that shouldn't. I.e, creating a point where the computer shorts out because it is grounded.

Most common place: Forgetting to place a gap screw underneath the MoBo to separate it from the case.
m
l
January 24, 2012 11:57:14 PM

Aelical said:
Most common place: Forgetting to place a gap screw underneath the MoBo to separate it from the case.

Say what now? My case came with preinstalled stand offs (all of which line up with the 9 holes on my board). I've tried breadboarding with the same results, and have actually narrowed this down to a compatability problem with the memory. I installed some no name CEON stuff first with no problems and then proceeded to order some Corsair Vengence LP stuff to replace the Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM that was causing an issue. I've been stable with no boot problems for a couple of days now.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:51:17 PM

Problem solved. I've been boot loop free for a week now.
m
l
!