Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC crashes when gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2011 5:32:16 PM

A month ago I bought a new pc with a sapphire radeon hd 6770 installed.Since then I am having problem playing games.
When I run any game like GTAIV , Crysis 2 , COD MW2 etc , after sometimes when playing games the screen becomes grey with white vertical lines and crashes to desktop. windows shows this message "ATI display driver stopped working and has recovered".then I see flickering in windows and eventually have to restart pc from start menu.

Sometimes when gaming the screen goes totally black and pc restarts automatically showing a "Hyper transport sync flood error" when booting up. When windows loads up it shows message about "unexpected shutdown".

The problems mentioned above happens randomly.sometimes 10 minutes or sometimes 6-7 hours of gaming.
I have tested cpu with prime95,tested ram with memtest and they are stable and cpu temp is normal(55c).Even tested GPU temp with GPU-Z and it also shows temp is normal(35c idle,65c when gaming),fan speed is auto.

so, can someone tell me if this is a problem with my card or driver (tested both 11.9 and 11.10) or any other hardware.

My system
AMD Athlon IIx4 640 @ 3.00 GHz
4GB DDR3 ram(single stick)
MSI 760GM-P33 mobo
sapphire radeon hd 6770 1GB DDR5
2 samsung 7200 rpm HDD
Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU
(Nothing is over clocked)

More about : crashes gaming

November 16, 2011 5:47:24 PM

HT is HyperTransport bus, for some reason the information on there is compromised.
Mostly this is due to:

1 Ram running wrong timings or broken

2 Powersupply not delivering enough stable power

3 Broken CPU

4 Broken videocard or other PCIe device

5 Broken motherboard

It's normally not caused by drivers or BIOS revision.
But if you think it is, verify against XP 32bit, see if it happens there too.
Swap parts until you found the guilty part, not much more you can do.

first thing i would do, is check your ram timings and voltage in the bios, make sure they match up to what the stick can handle, next i would check the CPU voltage, make sure power saving features are off, and the voltage should be over 1.3v @ 3.0ghz (i think, 1.425 is nominal?)

next if that all fails, try another stick of ram.. what brand is your ram? make/model?

if that fails or you have no other memory to try, take the sapphire out and give it a good looking over, make sure theres no buldging or exposed capacitors.. if thats good, keep it out, and try your onboard video for a while, see if you can get it to crash using your onboard video.. if you have another video card, test it in there instead, see if u can get a crash.. its a pretty complex problem it sounds like, it will take time to trouble shoot it probably.
Score
November 16, 2011 5:57:10 PM

also check your bios version your running, you may need an update, it has helped some others with that problem
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2011 6:31:15 PM

kd0frg said:
HT is HyperTransport bus, for some reason the information on there is compromised.
Mostly this is due to:

1 Ram running wrong timings or broken

2 Powersupply not delivering enough stable power

3 Broken CPU

4 Broken videocard or other PCIe device

5 Broken motherboard

It's normally not caused by drivers or BIOS revision.
But if you think it is, verify against XP 32bit, see if it happens there too.
Swap parts until you found the guilty part, not much more you can do.

first thing i would do, is check your ram timings and voltage in the bios, make sure they match up to what the stick can handle, next i would check the CPU voltage, make sure power saving features are off, and the voltage should be over 1.3v @ 3.0ghz (i think, 1.425 is nominal?)

next if that all fails, try another stick of ram.. what brand is your ram? make/model?

if that fails or you have no other memory to try, take the sapphire out and give it a good looking over, make sure theres no buldging or exposed capacitors.. if thats good, keep it out, and try your onboard video for a while, see if you can get it to crash using your onboard video.. if you have another video card, test it in there instead, see if u can get a crash.. its a pretty complex problem it sounds like, it will take time to trouble shoot it probably.

ok,I have also googled about the problem and found that many parts can cause the problem.so I started with the psu and got the following information from bios
vcore:1.384
3.3v :2.294
5v:4.924
+12v:11.880
so, are these reading normal?
what energy saving feature should i turn off. is spread spectrum one of them?
my bios version is the latest from msi
Score
November 16, 2011 6:54:01 PM

no, things like cool n quiet technology, what dooes cpu z say yer voltage is? cpu voltage i mean.. what are your ram timings in the bios? auto? give all the bios settings u can.. cpu vcore, ram volts, ram timings multiplyer, ht nb voltage and multiplyer, every thing
Score
November 16, 2011 7:00:36 PM

your 3v rail is a bit low, 2.29 isnt right, should be closer to 3.0 what does hardware monitor say your voltages are in windows? cpuid hardware monitor
Score
November 17, 2011 9:25:22 AM

kd0frg said:
your 3v rail is a bit low, 2.29 isnt right, should be closer to 3.0 what does hardware monitor say your voltages are in windows? cpuid hardware monitor

oops! it was 3.29 not 2.29
I dont know how to check RAM timing but but its a Apacer DDR3-1333 RAM.
in bios DRam timing is auto. i used cpu-z to see it.
It says

SPD Tab
Module size: 4096 MBytes
Max bandwidth: PC3 10700(667MHz)
Manufacturer: Apacer technology

Timing table:
JDEC#1 - JDEC#2 - JDEC#3 - JDEC#4
Frequency: 457MHz- 533MHZ - 609MHZ - 685MHZ
CAS# Latency: 6.0- 7.0- 8.0- -9.0
RAS# to CAS#: 6- 7- 8- 9
RAS# Percharge 6- 7- 8- 9
tRAS: 17- 20 - 22- 25