network at home..

G

my parents are owner-building a new house and i want to set up my network at home so that i have the cables in the walls, network ports in each room (that they're needed in) so that there are no messy cables going along coridoors. ie: like how schools usually have them set up (ports in the walls and the computer just plugs in straight from the NIC to the wall).

i'm just not sure on one thing - the actuall connections. as i'm doing it all myself, i need to know, is it just a case of looking at the cable itself, and then soldering on the cable/port in the correct places so they line up on the other end and then the NIC's can communicate?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
The cables arnt normally soldered into the wall sockets, the wires are usually pushed into little "slots" which actuall strips the wire and makes a connection- a special tol is available for this but a small screwdriver works fine but if you plan on doing quite a few, I'd recommend getting the tool (not expensive), I did the same thing when we moved house, and have just fitted a new one for my cablemodem, rather than have trailong cables, I put a socket on the wall and fed the wire under the frloor to the room with the pc, and put a socket on the wall there. much neater. The back of the wall socket is normally colourcoded for the 8 wires, but you can find details <A HREF="http://www.helmig.com" target="_new">HERE</A>
Hope this helps

Next time you wave - use all your fingers