Sign in with
Your question

First PC Build won't Boot. Please help!

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2012 5:59:57 PM

Hey Everyone,

This is my first PC that I am building. I have read as much information as possible and also watched the NewEgg tutorials on building a PC. I did the test outside of the case to make sure everything was working before putting it in the case (CPU, HSF, GPU, RAM, PSU). However, once I connected it to my monitor (See monitor below), it said Please connect cable. I also did not receive a beep and the GPU and HSF kept starting and stopping. What could be the reason? Could I have a faulty Motherboard? I did reset my CMOS

Another thing to note is that when just my CPU, HSF, PSU and RAM are connected I receive NO BEEPS.

When I have everything connected; CPU, HSF, PSU, GPU, RAM I receive No Loud Beeps but I can hear clicking.

Please see my specs below:

CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
RAM - GSkill Rip Jaws 4GBX2
PSU: Antec BP550
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB
Monitor: Samsung SynchMaster E2420

Please let me know.

I have also followed the steps on the FAQ page and Troubleshooting page.

Thanks!

More about : build boot

a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 7:36:11 PM

Chances of a bad board are rare; I've never had a brand new board that was bad in twenty plus years of building. the lack of a single beep doesn't mean didly any more; some boards don't come with a built in speaker or won't beep at the post. Reseat the ram and all power supply connections. The clicking could be a bad hardrive. Try posting again without the hardrive or optical drive connected. Also try just the onboard video; you should get it to post without the video card. You can add it later, and be sure the power supply lead is connected when you try it again.
m
l
January 14, 2012 7:39:50 PM

o1die said:
Chances of a bad board are rare; I've never had a brand new board that was bad in twenty plus years of building. the lack of a single beep doesn't mean didly any more; some boards don't come with a built in speaker or won't beep at the post. Reseat the ram and all power supply connections. The clicking could be a bad hardrive. Try posting again without the hardrive or optical drive connected. Also try just the onboard video; you should get it to post without the video card. You can add it later, and be sure the power supply lead is connected when you try it again.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually plugged in the "System Speaker" to hear the beeps. When I had just the PSU and HSF connected, I heard a long beep which meant the absence of the RAM. Then once I inserted the RAM I heard no beeps at all (Possibly bad memory). I have went step by step using the "Breadboarding" process to see what the issue is but I can't figure it out. Possibly the RAM? Also, I have not connected a HDD yet.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 7:45:31 PM

Try just one stick at a time. If it runs, install windows while it's working and add more ram later. Once windows is installed, you can run memtest to check each stick one at a time.
m
l
January 14, 2012 7:52:02 PM

o1die said:
Try just one stick at a time. If it runs, install windows while it's working and add more ram later. Once windows is installed, you can run memtest to check each stick one at a time.

I did this as well :( . Nothing...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:03:55 PM

Got the 12v power supply lead connected by the cpu? It's either 4 or 8 pin, depending on the motherboard.
m
l
January 14, 2012 8:07:49 PM

Yup, it was a 4pin on my motherboard. I did everything in the tutorial. I am just thinking it may be faulty or bad RAM?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:13:34 PM

What's the model # of your G.SkILL memory?
m
l
January 14, 2012 8:18:57 PM

cmichael138 said:
What's the model # of your G.SkILL memory?

F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:23:11 PM

Did you install them according to the instructions on page 16?

No offense....and snapped them in securely?
m
l
January 14, 2012 8:26:08 PM

cmichael138 said:
Did you install them according to the instructions on page 16?

I'm not near the instructions right now. What does page 16 state?

Thanks!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:28:19 PM

Never mind. I see you tried it with one stick installed (in each of the 4 slots?).
m
l
January 14, 2012 8:30:46 PM

cmichael138 said:
Never mind. I see you tried it with one stick installed (in each of the 4 slots?).

I sure did. I just looked on the GSkill Website. I don't see my Motherboard as a qualified motherboard: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=239

My motherboard is the GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:36:17 PM

The Gigabyte site does list your memory as compatable though.
m
l
January 14, 2012 8:40:45 PM

cmichael138 said:
The Gigabyte site does list your memory as compatable though.

I have no idea then :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:41:05 PM

Does your MB have onboard graphics or do you have access to another graphics card?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 8:42:36 PM

mowbr4 said:
I have no idea then :( 

The first build is always fun :cry:  Usually ends up being something simple or a faulty part.
m
l
!