techno20

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHz
6 GB Memory
GTS 240 Overclocked

Resolution around: 1024x768

anymore information needed please let me know :)

You have a good CPU, good RAM, so why not to upgrade to a better GPU ?
The GTS 240 is not meant for gaming even though it might run most games at this resolution.

Better upgrade to HD 6770/6850 and benefit from the high visuals and graphics experience.

Guys, his monitor limits the experience more than the graphics card. He can play it with his hardware, but really should get a bigger monitor for the full experience--a bigger monitor (to a point) actually improves the quality of all computer use.

Is it the DDR3 or DDR5 version of the GT 240? If it's the DDR5 version, you should be able to play on medium settings at 1080p.

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
upgrade your GPU according to your power supply. So you can run it on hihg or ultra. you wont need much for that resolution. try a GTX 560 or if you dont want to spend 180 then go with a gTX 550 ti but it really isnt a great card. the radeon equivlants would probably be 6870 or 6790.

So none of you see his monitor as a bigger issue than the GPU? Because everybody seems to be ignoring what needs the upgrade first. If he has cash, he should spend $120 on a monitor so that he can desire a better GPU first.

I sold a 720BE / HD4670 to a friend and his teenaged son around a year ago. The son bought Skyrim recently, and according to the Dad, it has been running quite well; I think at 1280x1024. The GTS240 is a stronger GPU, and the i7 860 is a dramatically better CPU, so I think the OP's rig will run the game pretty well. Try it as is before spending money on upgrades. If the experience is unsatisfying, then decide how best to improve it.

Edit: ...although I do agree that, in general, a larger monitor will be an improvement for EVERYTHING for which that PC might conceivably be used. How well the rig runs now however may suggest how much stronger the graphics card should be for a larger monitor, so test first.

Assuming it isn't a PSU-shaped object like Diablotek, Apevia, or Logisys, you should have no problem running a HD6670 on that PSU. If it is a very good unit, like a Seasonic, you might even run a HD6770 on it. Do you know what brand and model it is? If it's a Dell, it may be one of the FSP-built newer ones; does it have a little voltage switch on it, or is there an 80+ sticker on it?

Also, the PSU should have a label stating how much power is available on the +12V rail. My guess is yours has 18A, which would actually be a ~250W PSU.

There is no point in upgrading from a GT 240 to a 6670. You'll want to do a bigger jump if you waste your money. Anyhow...depending on the adequacy of your PSU, you could upgrade to something cheap& solid like a Corsair CX430 (typically $20 after rebate) and get a good graphics card to run off of it (like a GTX 460 1GB/HD 6850).

But that's getting ahead of ourselves since we don't know what PSU you have now. Also, I'd keep your current card until the Radeon 7000 series launch in Q1 2012 causes Radeon 6000 series prices to bottom out.