First timer with a burntup Mobo :-)

Hello, So I just blew up a Mobo for the first time. What a great stench! Would this kind of failure damage the cpu/ram/hd, and for the sake of curiosity, is there any risk in using these items on another board?
These ARE the droids you're looking for!
2 answers Last reply
More about first timer burntup mobo
  1. Just be sure where the smoke came from. You must have connected the wrong lead from the power supply, which may be toast. Bad cpu/heatsink/ram won't hurt anything to reuse; bad ps might take out another item. I would replace it for sure.
  2. lmao
    About two years ago I had a q6600 running at 3.4ghz and i wanted to get it to 3.6ghz...it booted up so i ran prime95 to stress test it for stability (woohoo!) and I went to the kitchen to make me some food in the meantime. I come back and my room smelled like burned up plastic and my computer was turned off, I dont know why but I pressed power on button and it turned on for 5 seconds and then I heard a POP (capacitor blew) and when I looked inside the case the corner of my motherboard was melting glowing red ;oo So I took the computer apart and I could definitely see burn marks on the motherboard (woo overclocking). The asus support department replaced my motherboard without asking any questions. I got the new motherboard after a week and a half, installed ram cpu plugged in the hard drives and the machine booted up no problem!
Ask a new question

Read More

Components