Graphics or Monitor issues -- How to fix

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my display (I think), and want to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I buy a new monitor.

I have a Dell ST2210 and am running games on 1080 with a GTX 560Ti. I have always noticed the problem with others games, but it really showed when I was playing Skyrim. I'm not getting any problems with graphic lag--my card runs smooth and cool.

The problem seems to be a gamma/contrast correction issue. When i'm looking at a brightly lit area and switch the camera quickly to a dark place it takes the monitor a solid second to adjust the darkness to a slightly brighter setting (black becomes a shade a gray). The whole grayscale on this monitor has always seemed off for me--things being hazy when they should be clear. Can some recommend a good monitor or a possible fix?

Here is a screenshot of my problem. The first one is EXACTLY when I look from an area with good lighting to an area that is dark. The second one is the transition that i'm referring to--it takes about a second for the brightness to adjust, and it happens gradually.

FIRST

SECOND

NOTE** I have updated both the monitor and graphics drivers from their respective websites. This problem has been noticeable for some time now--it has happened with multiple versions of nvidia's drivers.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about graphics monitor issues
  1. is the computer also a Dell product ? And you said you had this problem forever. Could be the PS in the dell tower can't provide enough power to the system ( card ) for things to work right. Is there any on board graphics you can plug into to test the machine ? Or perhaps a lesser card ( less power draw ).
  2. Honestly... I have a similar issue when playing Skyrim ONLY..

I think it is a setting in the game, you know like when you look at the sun and the look away; it takes a second for your eyes to adjust... I think that is what is happening here(maybe not your issue, but mine).

I was looking in a very bright area, then turned away and it took like 1 second for the monitor to adjust to accurately view the "darker" area.... maybe it's just a game setting.... I have never noticed it in any other game... (so your issue may be more than just a game setting.)
  3. swifty_morgan said:
    is the computer also a Dell product ? And you said you had this problem forever. Could be the PS in the dell tower can't provide enough power to the system ( card ) for things to work right. Is there any on board graphics you can plug into to test the machine ? Or perhaps a lesser card ( less power draw ).

No, not at all. In fact, there must have been a very good reason I bought this monitor--I think I had some credit towards a Dell product.

I built my rig-- ASrock Z68 Pro3, i5 2500k, gtx 560Ti, G.skill 8gb @ 1066, Thermaltake PSU 900W ish--pretty new, and 2 60gb SSD (I will never go back).

Quote:
    Honestly... I have a similar issue when playing Skyrim ONLY..

I think it is a setting in the game, you know like when you look at the sun and the look away; it takes a second for your eyes to adjust... I think that is what is happening here(maybe not your issue, but mine).

I was looking in a very bright area, then turned away and it took like 1 second for the monitor to adjust to accurately view the "darker" area.... maybe it's just a game setting.... I have never noticed it in any other game... (so your issue may be more than just a game setting.)

I thought this as well, but I have a buddy with a different monitor that plays as well and I checked out his graphics. He has a Radeon 4870--the graphics are good, much more crisp in terms of the long distance haziness I notice on my monitor. He gets some graphic lag when looking around quickly (gtx 560Ti is superior) Maybe the Nvidia drivers sacrifice this clarity for a smoother picture?
  4. are all your game settings the same?

resolution, draw distance & etc?

this could explain the difference in how it looks and performs from PC to PC
  5. found something on dell that a fellow had ghost with this screen in duall http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19346122/19749106.aspx#19749106
  6. there's supposed to be a button on it somewhere with presets. did you try it ?
  7. swifty_morgan said:
    there's supposed to be a button on it somewhere with presets. did you try it ?

I did try all those--most change the RGB values slightly. I tried using Dynamic Contrast, which produced even more of the same problem....this had me thinking it was a contrast issue. It's really stumping me, but I think it has something to do with (1) my monitor just being crappy--it seems like it doesn't produce a CLEAR image when i'm gaming, or (2) the drivers for the graphics card are doing this so I can actually SEE in the dark areas, though I think it takes away from the game in some aspects because they supply lighting spells and torches.

I really don't think it's part of the game. This effect has happened on many games I have played with this computer/monitor. I have to test it with a different monitor one of these days. Thanks for the help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics