vikings

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey guys

Wanted your advice on a build for a gaming p.c. ---

Case - Cooler Master Elite 310 (Mid Tower)
Intel Processor - [Overclockable] Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
CPU Cooling - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3
Intel Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX [VGA DVI HDMI] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3 Slots}
Overclocking - Stock Speed
Memory - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon 6970 2GB (Min. 650 Watt Power Supply)
Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 850 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Networking - Standard Onboard Ethernet
Media Card Readers - All-in-one Card Reader
Sound Card - Integrated HD Audio

Please let me know if this build will be able to handle games like Battlefield 3, WOW, Skyrim and tomorrows games. I'm new to this, thanks

jeremyp1979

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
This build should be more than enough for any modern game, I would in fact get an I5 2500k instead of the i7(there is virtually nothing out there that utilizes HT).

Should also probably drop down to 8gb of ram, 16 for a gaming rig is just overkill

Going with a stock speed cpu, you could just stick with the stock cooler. If you plan on maybe overclocking down the road, check out the CoolMaster hyper 212 evo for about 45 bucks.

With the money you're saving on the processor and ram, that would give you almost enough to upgrade to a GTX 580(which would be my personal choice, but I'm not a fan of AMD) or an AMD 7970 GPU. They both run about 500 bucks, and would work with the power supply you selected. The 7970 is faster, and uses a bit less power than the GTX 580, but AMD's drivers are horrible in my experience.

Other than that, everything looks really good, though you could save some money by grabbing a 500g hard drive instead of a 1tb, the HDD prices are super high right now.

Might also look into getting an SSD. With the motherboard youve selected, you can use Intel's SRT, and get a pretty big data accessing rate increase over a traditional hard drive. A decent ~60g(which is the biggest you can use with SRT) runs about 99 bucks. Corsair and Crucial have some pretty good ones.

Latest posts