Deleting the UnInstalls

I need to conserve some diskspace. I want to delete the backups that were
created when I installed all the updates. When I set the folders to show
all files/folders, I see the folders named $Uninstall....$ in C:\Windows.

It is easy enough to delete these, however, what other things should be
deleted so that the system recognizes that I can no longer uninstall them?

Thanks

This will help:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to conserve some diskspace. I want to delete the backups that
>were
> created when I installed all the updates. When I set the folders to
> show
> all files/folders, I see the folders named $Uninstall....$ in
> C:\Windows.
>
> It is easy enough to delete these, however, what other things should
> be
> deleted so that the system recognizes that I can no longer uninstall
> them?
>
> Thanks

Is there any downside/disadvantage to deleting the uninstall files? What
purpose were they meant to serve?

Tia,

Chad Harris
______________________________

>I need to conserve some diskspace. I want to delete the backups that were
> created when I installed all the updates. When I set the folders to show
> all files/folders, I see the folders named $Uninstall....$ in C:\Windows.
>
> It is easy enough to delete these, however, what other things should be
> deleted so that the system recognizes that I can no longer uninstall them?
>
> Thanks

Chad;
If they are deleted you no longer have the option to uninstall the
applicable patch.

Once the patch has been installed long enough for you to be reasonably
certain all IS OK then and not before delete the uninstall files.
Usually a few weeks is enough.

Basically there is no downside because at that time you have already
determined the patch is there to stay.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there any downside/disadvantage to deleting the uninstall files?
> What purpose were they meant to serve?
>
> Tia,
>
> Chad Harris

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need to conserve some diskspace. I want to delete the backups that were
>created when I installed all the updates. When I set the folders to show
>all files/folders, I see the folders named $Uninstall....$ in C:\Windows.
>
>It is easy enough to delete these, however, what other things should be
>deleted so that the system recognizes that I can no longer uninstall them?

1. Delete the $NTUNINSTALL... folders.
2. Delete the KB*.LOG/Q*.LOG files with the same patch numbers in the
WINDOWS folder.
3. Double-click the uninstall entries in the Control Panel > Add and
remove Programs to have Windows remove these items.

--
(tm)

Thanks... both of you for your help.

> This will help:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I need to conserve some diskspace. I want to delete the backups that
> >were
> > created when I installed all the updates. When I set the folders to
> > show
> > all files/folders, I see the folders named $Uninstall....$ in
> > C:\Windows.
> >
> > It is easy enough to delete these, however, what other things should
> > be
> > deleted so that the system recognizes that I can no longer uninstall
> > them?
> >
> > Thanks

Torgeir and Jupiter--

Many thanks--I'll have to see how much real estate they take up.

Chad Harris
_______________________

Chad Harris wrote:

> Is there any downside/disadvantage to deleting the uninstall
> files? What purpose were they meant to serve?
Hi

The only downside is that you will not be able to uninstall the
hotfixes (security updates mostly) that you deleted the uninstall
files for.

Uninstalling an update is really only done if you suspect that an
update caused you a specific problem. If your computer have run
fine for a while after installing an update, you can safely delete
the uninstall folder for it.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks... both of you for your help.