well... i did it

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I REALIZE THAT I HAVE ALREADY POSTED THIS IN WINDOWS VISTA SECTION JSUT WANNA GET THE GENERAL PUBLIC OPINION NOT ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAS VISTA. I finally upgraded to vista ultimate with only 2 gb of ram and seriously my performance dropped liked 5 frames i think it's about right. there's nothing bad about vista there is jsut nothing good about it... 3d flip was boring after 22 seconds. dx 10 hasn't had a game... i think i screwed up bad! now i might not even be able to max out crysis, i was sure i could've done it xp but vista is 750 mb ram sitting there i've got 1.25 left for gaming... did i make the right decision???

Everyone will eventually go with Vista but most will wait until the first service pack is released to address all these problems arising and hopefully increase its performance, you can always run XP until everything else catches up no one is making you run Vista, at least when and if Vista becomes the hot OP/SYS to be running, you won't have to buy it then, you already have it.

Don't worry. 2 gig is actually enough - as was pointed out above it turned out to be a bug that was causing Vista to max out RAM in some games, but if it's RAM you are worried about you can always get another 2 gig and you'll end up with about 3 gig usable in Vista 32 or upgrade to 64 bit and use all 4 of it.

I've got 4 gig in my dual boot vista 32\xp 32. Right now with pretty much just my web browser running (and a few bkgnd. apps) Vista is using 66% of my three gig. It's got to be prefetching. I never run out of RAM and this machine is smooth as silk, smoother than XP on the same box.

It's pretty rare I need to fire up XP for anything now. Vista's cool by me and I'm sticking with it. DX 10 is coming. I think you did the right thing.