Sign in with
Your question

Help with sufficient power and cooling for Gaming PC

Last response: in CPUs
April 27, 2012 6:55:26 PM

Hello all,

I am building a gaming machine and I am concerned about cooling. My first main question is will the AMD provided CPU cooler be sufficient for the CPU as listed below? I understand later should I try over clocking then some sort of additional cooling will be required. But right now, as my build is listed below, will the AMD provided cooling heat sink and fan be plenty or will I have to buy something else. If I do, what should I get?

Next question is about power. I am assuming 800W is plenty for the below build. If I install a second Radeon 6950 using CrossFire, will 800W still be sufficient. If not then what is required.

CASE: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I
PSU: Mushkin Enhanced MKNPSJL800 800W ATX12V
CPU: AMD FX-4170
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
GPU: XFX Double D Radeon 6950 2GB
Thanks everyone in advance for your help,

Gorden
April 27, 2012 7:11:55 PM

That was a GREAT link you suggested. THank you so much for that. I have spent nearly this whole week on NewEgg shopping for the parts and I never saw the Power Calculator. Now for the cooling question...
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 7:13:56 PM

The cooler you get with the chip will be sufficient for stock speeds. If it weren't, AMD would have a lot of furious customers.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend you not buy the FX 4170. It's a really awful processor and gets beaten by Intel's i3 dual cores in gaming.

Edit: Thought I'd clarify my jab at the 4170. Here's some benches to back up what I said. Even overclocked all the way to a whopping 4.5 GHz the 4170 loses to Intel's i3-2100 at stock settings. That's a suppsed quad core, overclocked to the nines, losing to a dual core stock chip. It also uses about 4x as much power to do it.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT get an FX 4170. If you want a cheap quad core, get a Phenom II. They're much better chips and cost about the same.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2012 7:25:06 PM

For me this is the best power supply tool you can find http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp but when using it keep in mind that it that lower quality PSUs may not be able to provide all of their listed wattage. Some may supply 75% or less of that listed wattage.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 7:27:15 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Some may supply 75% or less of that listed wattage.

And some of them can't even do that much

You get what you pay for in a power supply. With the really cheap ones, you may just be buying a house fire.
m
l
April 27, 2012 8:02:18 PM

Thanks guys so very much for the quick replies. I have taken your points to heart. The first by switching to another PSU... RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W. Christian, I can't get to the link you provided from work. I am being blocked with "Malicious Web Sites" warning.

Thats fine, I think I have enough info from everyone's comments.

Gorden
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 8:18:57 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Raidmax makes some of the worst PSUs in the world. I'd recommend getting something from either Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec or PC Power & Cooling. All four make excellent products.
m
l
!