Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I need to pick between these 2 Barebones Kits

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 14, 2012 10:01:06 PM

Im not even sure if this is in the right category lol.

I am putting together a budget PC, and i was looking at some barebones kits to start with. I found 2 that seem right for me. They are cheap, and both look really good. The main difference is the processors. The first one is an i3 2100, and the second is a Phenom II X4 830.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The second one is $20 cheaper.

Now, my main priority is gaming speed, and i heard that the i3 will be better for that. But i also heard that the Phenom is also really good for gaming, but not as good as the i3. Also, the phenom is 4 core, which may help me with some CPU intensive, multi-threading applications, such as 3d modeling and Video Editing. I want to pick the latter, because it is cheaper and has more cores, but is it gonna put me noticeably behind in terms of gaming performance? Should i spend that extra $20 bucks and get the i3, or will it not make too much of a difference if i stick with the cheaper, Quad core Phenom barebones kit? I want to get the phenom's, but i just want to make sure im not loosing too much.

Also, on a separate note, the GPU i wanna get is a Radeon HD 6850, or a GTX 560. Will they work safely with those barebones and their 450w PSU without any fear of it loosing power?

So, Which barebones will be the better one?

More about : pick barebones kits

a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2012 10:26:43 PM

Quote:
Also, on a separate note, the GPU i wanna get is a Radeon HD 6850, or a GTX 560. Will they work safely with those barebones and their 450w PSU without any fear of it loosing power?


No. The PSUs that are included with those systems are absolute junk. Power supplies in general are something that I would very carefully select because if you get the wrong one it could have serious consequences later on. EVGA recommends minimum 550W for a 560TI, and Sapphire recommends minimum 500W for a 6850.

I honestly wouldn't recommend either one. The main reason being that a lot of these systems have a lot of junk and outdated, and sometimes underpowered parts included. The PSUs that are included with both systems I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

You're far better off selecting your own components. I know that HD prices are horrible right now but there's not a lot we can do about it. That's the only reason these kits are appealing. You can definitely put together something that will be far better than any pre-selected kit you can get.
January 15, 2012 12:42:53 AM

i have heard differently. I doubt that the gtx 560 would work, but i have heard from many reliable sources that the hd 6850 will work on a 450w psu, especially the i3 one, because of its low power consumption. main thing 4 me is choosing the right barebones. i can replace gpu if absolutely necessary.
Related resources
January 15, 2012 8:22:43 AM

I trust the Thermaltake more than the diablotek psus but both are pretty much generic psus that could be pretty bad.

I still say you should be able to run a 6850.
January 15, 2012 10:08:39 PM

esrever said:
I trust the Thermaltake more than the diablotek psus but both are pretty much generic psus that could be pretty bad.

I still say you should be able to run a 6850.

true, but the diablotek one is w/ an i3, which uses alot less power than the other one (phenom ii x4 830). doesnt that make it more safe to use?

Either one is good, but now, my priority is to get the kit that is the most power efficient, so i have absolutely no fear of the GPU not working on it. i dont want to waste the money and have it not work. (im using my mom's money lol)
January 15, 2012 10:34:48 PM

How reliable are the power supplies on these 2 kits. I heard a lot of trash about the PSUs when i searched the case

Best solution

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 12:03:52 AM
Share

The Diablotek is out and out junk. The Thermaltake is just excessively mediocre.

It's been my experience that none of the TD's bare bones kits are particularly good deals for the reasons that g-unit said.

A GTX560 (Ti or not) needs about 15 amps at 12 volts. The 6850 needs about 10 amps. An i3 needs about 6 amps. The AMD chip needs about 9 amps.

Figure 60 - 80 watts for the rest of the system, so i5 + 6850 = about 250 - 270 watts. Sounds like the DiabloTek should be able to support that, doesn't it? Two problems. The PSU cannot support full rated power. And they tend to fail catastrophically ("catastrophically" defined as "explode" or "burst into flames").

As mediocre as the TT PSU is, if both kits had the same PSU, the Intel kit would be $40 - $50 more expensive.

The safer (less bad, actually) bet is the AMD kit plus the 6850.

But, based on the PSU's, I cannot recommend either kit.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 4:18:23 AM

Quote:
The Diablotek is out and out junk. The Thermaltake is just excessively mediocre.

It's been my experience that none of the TD's bare bones kits are particularly good deals for the reasons that g-unit said.


Yeah when a pre-built system like that includes such a junk PSU that is a huge red flag for me.

Quote:
A GTX560 (Ti or not) needs about 15 amps at 12 volts. The 6850 needs about 10 amps. An i3 needs about 6 amps. The AMD chip needs about 9 amps.


I got the power requirements off EVGA's website and Sapphire's website.

Quote:
Figure 60 - 80 watts for the rest of the system, so i5 + 6850 = about 250 - 270 watts. Sounds like the DiabloTek should be able to support that, doesn't it? Two problems. The PSU cannot support full rated power. And they tend to fail catastrophically ("catastrophically" defined as "explode" or "burst into flames" ).


Yeah and the last thing you want is an exploding PSU. :lol: 

You could get the kit, just swap out the PSU for something that's certified and rated.
January 16, 2012 4:24:25 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
The Diablotek is out and out junk. The Thermaltake is just excessively mediocre.

It's been my experience that none of the TD's bare bones kits are particularly good deals for the reasons that g-unit said.


Yeah when a pre-built system like that includes such a junk PSU that is a huge red flag for me.

Quote:
A GTX560 (Ti or not) needs about 15 amps at 12 volts. The 6850 needs about 10 amps. An i3 needs about 6 amps. The AMD chip needs about 9 amps.


I got the power requirements off EVGA's website and Sapphire's website.

Quote:
Figure 60 - 80 watts for the rest of the system, so i5 + 6850 = about 250 - 270 watts. Sounds like the DiabloTek should be able to support that, doesn't it? Two problems. The PSU cannot support full rated power. And they tend to fail catastrophically ("catastrophically" defined as "explode" or "burst into flames" ).


Yeah and the last thing you want is an exploding PSU. :lol: 

You could get the kit, just swap out the PSU for something that's certified and rated.


alright! thanks! i guess i could just buy the kit and buy a new PSU. so, which kit do u recommend 4 me (disregarding the psu - imma buy a new one) and what should be the wattage of the PSU im gonna buy?
January 16, 2012 4:26:15 PM

jsc said:
The Diablotek is out and out junk. The Thermaltake is just excessively mediocre.

It's been my experience that none of the TD's bare bones kits are particularly good deals for the reasons that g-unit said.

A GTX560 (Ti or not) needs about 15 amps at 12 volts. The 6850 needs about 10 amps. An i3 needs about 6 amps. The AMD chip needs about 9 amps.

Figure 60 - 80 watts for the rest of the system, so i5 + 6850 = about 250 - 270 watts. Sounds like the DiabloTek should be able to support that, doesn't it? Two problems. The PSU cannot support full rated power. And they tend to fail catastrophically ("catastrophically" defined as "explode" or "burst into flames").

As mediocre as the TT PSU is, if both kits had the same PSU, the Intel kit would be $40 - $50 more expensive.

The safer (less bad, actually) bet is the AMD kit plus the 6850.

But, based on the PSU's, I cannot recommend either kit.

okay, so, if i were to buy a new PSU along with a kit (just in case), then which kit should i get (disregarding the PSU), and how many watts does the PSU need to be?
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 4:57:09 PM

I'd put a good 500 watt PSU into either build.
January 16, 2012 6:38:25 PM

jsc said:
I'd put a good 500 watt PSU into either build.


aight, i found a good psu within my budget:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

u think its reliable? im probably gonna get the AMD barebones kit along with it. how good do u thinks it will work? is there any more potential problems that i should look out for?
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2012 10:54:58 PM

mahin1islam said:
aight, i found a good psu within my budget:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

u think its reliable? im probably gonna get the AMD barebones kit along with it. how good do u thinks it will work? is there any more potential problems that i should look out for?


No - that PSU is not certified or rated. You really need to get one that is, but in that price range it's really difficult to find ones that are. This is the one I use and it's been really good so far (knock on wood) - it hasn't given me a lick of trouble and I haven't had any dead connectors or unexpected shutdowns: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
January 17, 2012 9:05:12 PM

jsc said:
I'd put a good 500 watt PSU into either build.


Hey, guys! i found another barebones kit that i seem to like alot. It has an i3 2100 processor, and the Thermaltake case/psu (which most of u agree on is a bit more reliable). yes, it costs a little more, but i like the over all deal alot. This is a kit that i'm really willing to invest some money on to make it into a (moderate) gaming rig. im probably gonna upgrade the PSU (500-600w) and GPU (HD 6850 or a 560 ti). What do u guys think about this kit? is it good? should i go with it? Is it reliable? Will its MOBO be able to handle everything? What are some other potential problems i should look out for?

I just wanted to thank everyone for their useful comments. it really helped me alot. :) 
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 10:53:41 PM

mahin1islam said:
Hey, guys! i found another barebones kit that i seem to like alot. It has an i3 2100 processor, and the Thermaltake case/psu (which most of u agree on is a bit more reliable). yes, it costs a little more, but i like the over all deal alot. This is a kit that i'm really willing to invest some money on to make it into a (moderate) gaming rig. im probably gonna upgrade the PSU (500-600w) and GPU (HD 6850 or a 560 ti). What do u guys think about this kit? is it good? should i go with it? Is it reliable? Will its MOBO be able to handle everything? What are some other potential problems i should look out for?

I just wanted to thank everyone for their useful comments. it really helped me alot. :) 


Is there a link to it? I'd need to see what the rest of it contains.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 2:38:07 AM

If you are going to upgrade the PSU and GPU, you really do not gain anything from buying a kit.
January 23, 2012 12:52:26 PM

Best answer selected by mahin1islam.
January 23, 2012 6:17:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!