New build question about an old part

noobiemcgee

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hello everyone,

First off I'm happy to say that I've built my first computer! its up and running smoothly :D. Here is my setup:

CM Haf 912 Case, Asrock extreme3 gen3 MB, I-5 2500K CPU, CM hyper 212+ HSF, Corsair tx750W PSU, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, 8gb Corsair vengeance ram and a EVGA GTX 560ti 2gb GPU.

My question is regarding an old vista HDD, I would like to put it into the new rig as a storage drive for music, movies, etc and keep the SSD for windows7 and a few games(WoW and Skyrim). I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do before putting the HDD into the new system IE: Format it before taking it out, just plug it into the case or do I have to do something else? I'm not interested in keeping the files on the old HDD, already backed up onto an external HD, so if I have to I can loose all the data.

Sorry if this topic as been covered, I tried looking around and could not find what I was looking for. Most guides mentioned doing this while installing Win7, however, as mentioned Win7 is already installed and running smoothly... I hope I didn't screw myself :(.

Thanks in advance for any and all input :D.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nope. Should be good to just plug it in and be good to go. Once it's installed you'll want to format it within windows in NTFS. Go to "Disk Management" in Windows 7 and select that disk to format. From there, do with it as you please!