Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming PC under 1500$. Looking for comments and help

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2012 11:49:50 PM

Hi,

(Sorry for my English, I usually speak french so excuse me if I made some errors).

I'm looking to change my PCand looking for some advises.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon, like next week

Budget Range: approx. 1500 or not too far away (unless it worth it for performance/durability/long term)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Work (want to use 3 monitors), games (Diablo3 of course, some FPS), daily internet usage, watching movies (avi, mkv)

Parts Not Required: OS, HDD, keyboard, mouse, speaker.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Radeon video card, I like Corsair and Asus too.

Overclocking: Maybe but not immediately

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, later

Monitor Resolution: looking for 1920x1200

Additional Comments: My goal is to have a good and stable computer that will last many years, rooms for improvement (add rams, add second video card, etc.) and maybe overclock a little in the future. I also want to use 3 monitors and Eyefinity. I currently have 2x monitor (16:10 ratio) and I'm looking for a good one 24" and 1920x1200 (i like that resolution). I also have a 500gb hdd ready to plug in so I'll buy one SSD.

Here is what I have in mind:

Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 210$
Was looking for a good ASUS socket 1155 Crossfire and this one seems to be one of the most popular and getting good reviews.

Processor : Intel i7-2600k 331$
I want an Intel CPU and this seems to be the logical choice.

Video Card : XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 285$
Seems good for game and for EyeFinity. Heard it can be overclocked to a 6970.

Power Supply : Corsair Pro Gold AX 850 200$
Found this on the video card's supported Power Supply list. Corsair seems to be a very good brand for power Supply. This one is highly recommended and 850W should be enough for a few upgrades.

Memory : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 2X4GB DDR3-1600 57$
Found this on the Motherboard's supported memory list. It is popular, cheap and seems to be working very well.

Computer Case : Cooler Master CM 690 2 Advanced 85$
Was looking for a good mid case under 100$ and this was showing very often. It's getting superb reviews everywhere I see it. It looks fine and seems well build.

SSD : Intel 320 GEN3 120gb 208$
Getting good reviews, many says that they are the most reliable.

Screen : Dell U2412M 369$
Not so many 1920x1200 screens at a decent price. No HDMI port but that's ok. From all the reviews, seems to have a superb image and is decent for gaming. Looks like a nice IPS monitor.

DVD writer : LG 19$
Something basic

TOTAL : 1764$

1.What do you guys think?
2.The price is higher than 1500, any suggestion on what I should change to lower the price without losing too much performance/quality? like getting i5-2500k instead and save over 100$?
3.Is there a good reason to change any piece?
4.I won't overclock or upgrade right away and there are 3 fans in the computer case, do I need more fans or a cpu heatsink? Something like Coolermaster Hyper 212 for 30$? Is it a lot quieter and better than the stock one?
5.Is there someone using this monitor and could share his experience?
6.Video card, XFX is good? Should I go with ASUS as it is the same price? Or MSI?

Any input/suggestion/comment will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

More about : gaming 1500 comments

January 15, 2012 3:41:26 AM

Well, the i5-2500k should be fine, saves you $100. You should also be fine with a stock fan for cooling, since you don't plan on overclocking. Other then that, everything looks good.
Score

Best solution

January 15, 2012 4:19:02 AM

Quote:

1.What do you guys think?
2.The price is higher than 1500, any suggestion on what I should change to lower the price without losing too much performance/quality? like getting i5-2500k instead and save over 100$?
3.Is there a good reason to change any piece?
4.I won't overclock or upgrade right away and there are 3 fans in the computer case, do I need more fans or a cpu heatsink? Something like Coolermaster Hyper 212 for 30$? Is it a lot quieter and better than the stock one?
5.Is there someone using this monitor and could share his experience?
6.Video card, XFX is good? Should I go with ASUS as it is the same price? Or MSI?

1, It's an excellent start but could use a bit of tweaking. See my suggestions below.
2. Again, see the recommendations below.
3. Some of the parts you have are an older generation and you should get the newest hardware you can when building a new system to avoid upgrade hassles later on.
4. I'm in the minority here when I say that I think you should get an aftermarket cooler anyways. I'm running a Hyper 212 on top of my i3-2120 (a CPU that is not unlocked) and it's kept my work computer way cooler than my gaming computer.
5. That monitor is a bit overkill for a gaming system (it's more of a professional monitor). Although I use a 42" TV so I can't really say too much. :lol: 
6. XFX is a good brand for sure. My personal favorites for video cards are Sapphire and EVGA - they're a bit smaller and more focused on one particular area. I generally tend not to recommend video cards from the big motherboard manufacturers because they make so many products that video cards are usually not their strong points. All EVGA makes is NVIDIA-based cards, and pretty much all Sapphire makes are Radeon-based cards, so they generally tend to be higher quality than what you can get from the motherboard makers.

Quote:

Processor : Intel i7-2600k 331$
I want an Intel CPU and this seems to be the logical choice.

Actually it really isn't for a gaming build. I'll second the recommendation of the i5, you only need the i7 for high-end video editing and rendering.

Quote:

Video Card : XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb 285$
Seems good for game and for EyeFinity. Heard it can be overclocked to a 6970.

It's a good choice. I like Sapphire better for Radeon cards because they make quality products. The 5800 I have is still going strong after a year of owning it.

Quote:

SSD : Intel 320 GEN3 120gb 208$
Getting good reviews, many says that they are the most reliable.

Good drive but it's also SATA-III, you really should get a SATA-6 drive to get the best performance (SATA-III is significantly slower). What you should do here is drop this to a 64GB and spend the difference on what you'll be saving with the i5 and get a secondary storage solution like the Samsung Spinpoint or Caviar Blue.

Quote:

Memory : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 2X4GB DDR3-1600 57$
Found this on the Motherboard's supported memory list. It is popular, cheap and seems to be working very well.

Another good choice but make sure to get the version without the tall heat spreaders as that will make installing cooling fans difficult.

Quote:

Computer Case : Cooler Master CM 690 2 Advanced 85$
Was looking for a good mid case under 100$ and this was showing very often. It's getting superb reviews everywhere I see it. It looks fine and seems well build.

Cooler Master makes good products but this one is quite a bit old now. A newer choice would be the HAF 912. Alternately you should check out the Corsair Carbide 400R.

Quote:

Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 210$
Was looking for a good ASUS socket 1155 Crossfire and this one seems to be one of the most popular and getting good reviews.

This is the board I use and it's been great so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Related resources
January 15, 2012 4:28:06 AM

As others have said, don't see a need for the i7 unless you're doing heavy video/photo editting. You can spend the money you save on a 7k series video card.
Score
January 15, 2012 12:25:38 PM

Thanks a lot G-Unit and all the other for their comments.

I would like to purchase soon but do you think it worth to wait a few months for the new intel CPU coming and the 7k series amd video cards??
Score
January 15, 2012 5:00:06 PM

raven678 said:
Thanks a lot G-Unit and all the other for their comments.

I would like to purchase soon but do you think it worth to wait a few months for the new intel CPU coming and the 7k series amd video cards??

The CPU that's going to be out relatively soon is for the X79 platform (the i7-3820 I believe). It's not an unlocked CPU and I don't necessarily think you need it for a gaming system.

The 7 series is going to be sweet, judging from the 7970, but it might be a while before we see the mid - to - lower level of the spectrum.
Score
January 16, 2012 10:38:56 AM

g-unit1111 said:
The CPU that's going to be out relatively soon is for the X79 platform (the i7-3820 I believe). It's not an unlocked CPU and I don't necessarily think you need it for a gaming system.

The 7 series is going to be sweet, judging from the 7970, but it might be a while before we see the mid - to - lower level of the spectrum.

Thanks!!
Score
January 16, 2012 10:39:22 AM

Best answer selected by raven678.
Score
!