Sign in with
Your question

Two Different Cards: Quadro/GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2011 1:03:35 AM

Hello, What I am looking to do is keep my Quadro FX 1800 in my machine and possibly add another card, gaming type nVidia for use with games akin to RIFT, as my card is not built for gaming graphics. I use solidworks, hence my wanting to keep the Quadro FX 1800 in there, I've used gaming cards with it and its just not the same experience at all. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and will be updating my Motherboard to have 2 card inputs soon if this is possible...Thank you in advance for replies.

More about : cards quadro

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 2:35:33 AM

I don't think it will work the way you're hoping. I don't think that you can switch between the two for output and rendering once you've booted into windows.

You might be able to tell your computer in the bios before it boots which PCI-e slot you want to boot from, but you'd still have to switch over your monitor cables on the monitor, or have the two cards plugged into the monitor with separate connections.
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 2:45:36 AM

+1
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 4:50:55 AM

yes you can have both a geforce and a Quadro in your system. The Quadro will be automatically detected with the CAD programs and the geforce you can use for gaming
November 17, 2011 2:01:46 PM

gnomio said:
yes you can have both a geforce and a Quadro in your system. The Quadro will be automatically detected with the CAD programs and the geforce you can use for gaming

How do you know that this is possible? You seem pretty confident in your response.
November 17, 2011 2:03:02 PM

bobusboy said:
I don't think it will work the way you're hoping. I don't think that you can switch between the two for output and rendering once you've booted into windows.

You might be able to tell your computer in the bios before it boots which PCI-e slot you want to boot from, but you'd still have to switch over your monitor cables on the monitor, or have the two cards plugged into the monitor with separate connections.

Honestly, that would be fine. I'm not looking for an easy fix, nor to necessarily run them both at the exact same time. I'm just looking for a fix that doesn't involve me going into the computer and replacing the card every couple days...Which is just not ideal and I could end up braking something over removing and replacing that many times.
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 9:08:27 PM

gnomio said:

Can you link us to this information? I've done a cursory search and didn't find anything.

It looks like it might be possible with very specific cards and ALOT of messing around

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=56925

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246662-33-running-qua...
!