Question about kwh consumption and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

becast

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
Hi again, im very new here and i'm learning a lot every day from everyone, this is a very nice community.

I Have a question about kwh and PSU

1. lets says i have same components in both cases and same type of use(same time of use, same programs, and same demand, etc) . '
If i buy a 1000W psu will it consume the same electricity kwh than a 800W psu?

2. whats the minimum power supply needed for a z77 motherboard with a single gtx680 and a 2500k processor?

Solution
It depends on the power supply's conversion efficiency at that specific power draw level.

If the conversion efficiency is exactly the same at that power draw level on both power supplies then the power consumption at the AC wall outlet will be the same for both power supplies.

If one of the power supplies has a better conversion efficiency at that power level then it will draw less power at the AC power outlet.

If the power supply has 80 PLUS certification there should be a published conversion efficiency graph available for it. Select a manufacturer from the list and click on the specific model you want to look at here:

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 680 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using three GeForce GTX 680 graphics cards in 3-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 900 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 69 Amps or greater and that has at least six 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

It depends on the power supply's conversion efficiency at that specific power draw level.

If the conversion efficiency is exactly the same at that power draw level on both power supplies then the power consumption at the AC wall outlet will be the same for both power supplies.

If one of the power supplies has a better conversion efficiency at that power level then it will draw less power at the AC power outlet.

If the power supply has 80 PLUS certification there should be a published conversion efficiency graph available for it. Select a manufacturer from the list and click on the specific model you want to look at here:

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.