Sign in with
Your question

P67 Sabertooth 1 long beep 5 short beeps, unsure of troubleshooting...

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2012 2:15:33 AM

Hi there community!

So, I just finished putting together my first home build in...well, years. Here are the specs:

i5-2500k
P67 Sabertooth mobo
3x4 Corsair Vengeance RAM
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 Classified
750w OC Z ZT PSU
128gb Crucial M4 SSD
LG 24x DVD writer
Antec Kuhler 920
Cooler Master HAF 922 case.

....so I put that all together...everything so far so good, relatively speaking. Go to boot it up, and...a few red lights pop up around the mobo. No big deal I thought. I get 1 long beep 5 short beeps. According to Asus, that's a CPU problem.

I've reset the CMOS switch, I've checked the CPU fan cable, the CPU/12V_ATX power cable, and I've even removed the CPU and put it back (not that I could see anything off)....but nothing has changed. Every time I attempt to boot, I get nothing more than red lights flashing on the mobo, and the 1 long beep 5 short beeps.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this? Does this sound like a bad CPU, a bad mobo? What?

And no...it doesn't get to POST...it doesn't even get to any video output... I thought I did sufficient research prior to building to verify everything SHOULD be compatible...

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2012 6:12:43 AM

I know you checked the CPU socket, but it is best to check it with some sort of magnifying glass to make sure all those tiny pins line up.

If all is well there, I would suspect a bad board.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2012 12:15:44 PM

According to whom at Asus? I'm having a hard time finding any information about Asus AMI BIOS beep codes. Convince me the code means CPU. Right now I don't believe it.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2012 1:47:22 PM

tlmck said:
Don't know about the one long beep, but the 5 shorts are CPU.

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLa...

OK, but the two before that specify a combination of long and short beeps. If, for example, one long and three short means graphics card, as it does, that does not mean that three short means anything. I remain unconvinced.
!