Reboot and select proper boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance1132000

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Okay so I'm almost finished I hope with my first home build. I have installed all the hardware and I'm able to get into the bios and see my ram dvd drive hard drive and cpu. I have made sure that the boot order is 1 dvd drive then my hard drive. When I exit out of bios with the windows in the dvd drive I get the error message reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. All the hard ware is new except for the dvd drive which I have borrowed from another of my desktops that is in working order. The windows version is oem 64 bit 7 Ill list the hardware below. Any help would be great because I'm at a complete loss on why I'm unable to finish the build.
Thanks
Les

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
ePOWER EP-600NE-XV 600W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.92 Power Supply
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WR Black / Red SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Solution
Before I try to assist, you should know your license key won't be legal if you intend to use this PC yourself. The OEM license requires you to sell the PC to someone else who can't sell it back to you.

That said, for completeness sake it would be nice to know what video card is in the computer.

Are you sure all the connections are in right? Especially the ones for the DVD drive.

It kinda sounds like one of the cables might be loose.

Do you by any chance have some other kind of bootable CD laying around?

If not you can make one by downloading a program called MemTest86+ and copying it to a CD. The files are quite small so it won't take long.

As a bonus, you can use it to test your RAM while you are sleeping to make sure nothing...
Before I try to assist, you should know your license key won't be legal if you intend to use this PC yourself. The OEM license requires you to sell the PC to someone else who can't sell it back to you.

That said, for completeness sake it would be nice to know what video card is in the computer.

Are you sure all the connections are in right? Especially the ones for the DVD drive.

It kinda sounds like one of the cables might be loose.

Do you by any chance have some other kind of bootable CD laying around?

If not you can make one by downloading a program called MemTest86+ and copying it to a CD. The files are quite small so it won't take long.

As a bonus, you can use it to test your RAM while you are sleeping to make sure nothing is going on with that.

If you have multiple desktops layin around maybe you could grab yet another CD drive while you are at it and shove it in there. Maybe for some reason it just doesn't like that one.

Just some ideas.

Solution

lance1132000

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I forgot to add the video card sorry bout that. I ended up staying up last night and after trying a couple things I was able to load windows by installing on a usb. My assumption is that there is something wrong with the way I connected the dvd drive or it somehow went bad from the point of taking it out of my other computer and installing it in the new one. It shows up in bios so beats me anyhow thank you for the reply. :)

DIAMOND 6770PE51GB Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.