Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hot R6970's!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 17, 2011 7:26:33 AM

Hi All

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/julzfromsa/?a...


How you all doing? OK. I have R6970 Lightnings in CF on a HAF 932. After benching fur-mark for 15mins i hit 100 degree Celsius on card two and 92 degree Celsius on card one. Ambient room temp is 26 degree celcius. Idle Temp is 46 degrees and 50 degrees. HOT :pfff: 

This is HOT. Twin frozr 3 should keep temps down to atleast 80 degrees. Should i send them back. HAF 932 is stock cooling that comes with the chassis and should be great for this intall. Dont think its the case.

Cpu cooling is 212+

Whats wrong?

More about : hot r6970

November 17, 2011 7:29:21 AM

i would rma if i were u ( 90 is too damn hot for a properly cooled card)
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 7:35:51 AM

Don't they come clocked at 850Mhz?

I'm running mine at 980 @ 1.225v and i still don't hit 80C.

Your top card (depends if your program reads it as GPU 1 or 2 should be about 8-12C hotter than the bottom card).

try uninstalling, run driver sweeper, and reinstalling the new ATI 11.11 driver, it shouldn't do anything for temps but should fix gpu throttle problems. Make sure when the computer is started as to look at all the fans on the GPU and that they are fully spinning.

If it still doesn't work for you there are three other methods you can try.

1. Use MSI Afterburner and use their auto fan setting where you can customize it the way you want it (XXX Degrees = XXX Fan speed)

2. Remove your non-referenced cooler and replace the thermal paste with something more high end.

3. RMA the card (probably not the cards fault, i doubt rma would do anything unless you tested the card individually and one was significantly hotter than the other).
m
0
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 7:44:00 AM

trihedral said:
Don't they come clocked at 850Mhz?

I'm running mine at 980 @ 1.225v and i still don't hit 80C.

Your top card (depends if your program reads it as GPU 1 or 2 should be about 8-12C hotter than the bottom card).

try uninstalling, run driver sweeper, and reinstalling the new ATI 11.11 driver, it shouldn't do anything for temps but should fix gpu throttle problems. Make sure when the computer is started as to look at all the fans on the GPU and that they are fully spinning.

If it still doesn't work for you there are three other methods you can try.

1. Use MSI Afterburner and use their auto fan setting where you can customize it the way you want it (XXX Degrees = XXX Fan speed)

2. Remove your non-referenced cooler and replace the thermal paste with something more high end.

3. RMA the card (probably not the cards fault, i doubt rma would do anything unless you tested the card individually and one was significantly hotter than the other).


Thanks for the reply

My fans are running at 100% when the top card hits 100 degrees. The bottom card hit 100% fan speed when the card hits 90 degrees. Im going to try send them back, this is really hot hey. Ill let them have a look at it.

So you say i should try uninstalling drivers and reinstalling. I will do that, but i am unsure how that will help the heat issue?
Both cards are at stock.
Julz
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 7:46:21 AM

Oh yes, I have had the case opened and checked that the fans where spooling up nicely, and they seem to be spinning fine.. Top card is def allot hotter, but thats common. I have HOT twin frozr 3's. whats this world coming too!!!
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 5:04:40 PM

Hi, I feel your pain. I had two MSI HD6970 (the cheaper one 'R6970-2PM2D2GD5') in crossfire a month or two ago and those temp rose to a mind-boggling 110c some times. So i sold the two cards (couldn't rma it). About 2 weeks ago i buyed x2 Lightning cards (same as you) and still temp rose to about 98c in my HAF X CASE and many say it has exellent air flow. So anyways a week ago i buyed 2 thermalright spitfires and since then temps dont go over 70c. The only prob is that you have cheap plastic fins for vram coolers and i dont like it since i love to overclock. So try aftermarket coolers and see if it helps, if you have a good motherboard that have lots of space between pci-e slots go for the Accelero XTREME Plus II as those are even better at cooling vram.
Hope it helps.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 7:15:38 PM

^
Did you notice significant differences moving to the Accelero XTreme Plus II?

I'm thinking about getting it just for my upper card.

@julzfromsa,

did you test them individually yet?
Just install Driver 11.11 and 11.11 CAP1 and do it individually.
RMA whichever is hot, you shouldn't be getting that much high temps, it's not normally especially when your fans are at 100%, im getting under 70C at 50% fans.

m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 7:18:58 PM

What temps do you get when running games? The manufacturers of these cards do not consider Furmark a fair test. They consider that a heat virus.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 8:30:05 PM

today i was playing witcher 2 everything maxed and max seemed to hit 80 plus? Ill check again and let you know a exact figure
m
0
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
November 17, 2011 8:40:47 PM

Besides Furmak can damage one of your cards chips, it does really stress and heat everything up in the PCB.

Do you have a side FAN thrown into the GPUs ?
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 9:09:26 PM

Honestly, you should download Heaven DX 11 Benchmark.

It works a lot better detecting artifacts (IMO) and doesn't heat up as much as furmark so less damage to the card and more parallel to games.

Did i tell you it was free?
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 5:31:56 AM

I have the standard side fan on the HAF 932 blowing directly on the cards. Ill post allot of DATA regarding heaven, and Witcher2 Game play Temps in an Hour or so.. Thanks for the replies. @ ricco - I really like the look of the stock coolers, they look GREAT and they should perform well. Its not an option to remove them as paid a premium for the twin frozr III's. Know what i mean! Just a principle thing
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 6:54:58 AM

Ok Guys

Heaven Benchmark after one cycle (one loop). Everything MAX.

Card 1

Max temp - 85 degrees
Max Fan Speed - 80

Card 2

Max temp - 76
Max Fan Speed - 60

Looking a bit better - Is it furmark thats the prob?

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/julzfromsa/?a...
Image not so great so use cntrl and scroll wheel up to see the figures

The Witcher 2

max 85 card 1
max 76 card 2
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 7:02:45 AM

The max temp of this cards is 110c so you have some room to go. My 2 lightning cards before a fitted aftermarket coolers was hitting about 100-110c. If the card hits i think 110c the bios resets the card. Try new thermalpast, helped for me in the begining. The only thing you can do to lower temps much is to go for aftermarket coolers. If you have change in your pocket why not go for liquid cooling, but remember the blocks for the card is not cheap.
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 7:07:08 AM

trihedral said:
^
Did you notice significant differences moving to the Accelero XTreme Plus II?

I'm thinking about getting it just for my upper card.

@julzfromsa,

did you test them individually yet?
Just install Driver 11.11 and 11.11 CAP1 and do it individually.
RMA whichever is hot, you shouldn't be getting that much high temps, it's not normally especially when your fans are at 100%, im getting under 70C at 50% fans.


I don't have the accelero on my cards. Didnt have enough space between the cards so i buyed the spitfire. Still good and temps don't go over 70c but if you think you have the space then go for it. Really awsome good looking cooler.
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 6:00:19 PM

julzfromsa said:
Ok Guys

Heaven Benchmark after one cycle (one loop). Everything MAX.

Card 1

Max temp - 85 degrees
Max Fan Speed - 80

Card 2

Max temp - 76
Max Fan Speed - 60

Looking a bit better - Is it furmark thats the prob?

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/julzfromsa/?a...
Image not so great so use cntrl and scroll wheel up to see the figures

The Witcher 2

max 85 card 1
max 76 card 2



it looks like furmark is the problem, test it in other games. If this was happening all the time I would call it an issue, but crossfiring 2 high end cards on air cooling and only getting to 85 degrees is 100% acceptable imo
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
November 18, 2011 7:31:16 PM

Given that you have 2 cards which dump all their hot air back into the case, you might find a big improvement is to improve case airflow. And to help prevent an air flow dead zone between the two cards, I'd recommend removing the metal plate at the back of the case between the two cards. That way air can blow out the back between the two cards.
m
0
l
November 18, 2011 8:05:22 PM

I don't think you should RMA. If I redline my car for 15 minutes, it gets hot. Doesn't mean it's broken.
26 is high ambient. Improve case cooling, and expect high temps when Furmark-ing your cards.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 5:24:10 AM

Im not gona RMA. It seems as if TW2 pushes these cards to the absolute limit. Im only seeing high temps in furmark and the witcher 2.. The witcher 2 is something HECTIC! Looks great though.

Skyrim hardly gets to 75 degrees - so, it was just a scare. My room literally gets hotter when these two mammoths of graphics cards get cranked up - lol!

Thanks for the support and advise guys

Julz from South Africa
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 5:28:23 AM

oh yes, got my xonar xense RMA'D today.. Have had bad luck with this pc. Firstly i broke my ud5, snapped off the pci express slot (my bad)

Xonar xense - faulty and just got a new one

RAT 9 - Faulty battery

3 new installs of windows, gremlins but rock stable now

Roccat cone + - the middle mouse button didnt work. Getting RMA'D today

Hot 6970's but seems to be ok now!

God, what else - LOL

Thanks oaks! been there through thick and thin!
m
0
l
!